Forum: Competitions

What are some SO's thinking?
By DelilahDance
On Sun May 25, 2014 07:23 PM

I recently learned that my SO is telling soloist that they need to maintain a platinum (or highest adjudicated scoring rank) in order to be eligible for a solo next year.

Is this unheard of? Or am I just old school?

8 Replies to What are some SO's thinking?

re: What are some SO's thinking?
By SharonDet
On Sun May 25, 2014 11:09 PM
That is bizarre! Especially since a competition is just three random people's subjective opinions on a dance. If the judge does not like the choreography or costume, even if it is executed well, it may score poorly. I have had dances score well that didn't deserve the high score they received and vice versa with dancers who performed nearly flawlessly. Sounds like this studio owner may be a bit confused as to how competitions actually work (as well as WHY we dance and teach kids to dance). I hope said studio owner's students can somehow learn about the joy of performing regardless of what the judges/so might think.
re: What are some SO's thinking? (karma: 1)
By MissSharon73
On Mon May 26, 2014 01:21 AM
Yeah, that sounds Cray Cray :O

Like Sharon (Gee...We often have the same occurrences or opinions/ideas. Must be our fantastic name?! LOL...), I have had dancers/groups that scored a High Gold at one comp, and then at the next one get Platinum. Judge's scores, and off day and various other components play into the scores. I think that requiring such a thing is unrealistic and ridiculous...
By hummingbird
On Mon May 26, 2014 07:51 AM
Did you hear this from the SO or from students/parents or just the bush telegraph?

Until I heard it straight from the horses mouth I think I might look upon it as not quite the full story because it really does sound a bit far fetched.
re: What are some SO's thinking? (karma: 1)
By DaDancingPsych
On Tue May 27, 2014 07:27 AM
As usual, I agree with hummingbird (I am going to pretend that we have matching names that make us fabulous, too!) It is always wise to note your source, as sometimes things get misconstrued.

Assuming that you got out this from the SO, I am annoyed. I suppose every director can run her/his school as is seen fit; I simply do not like the emphasis that is being placed on "winning". Others have pointed out that the scoring is not always reflective of what happened on stage. Not to mention that depending on the back story, sometimes a "gold" is more meaningful than a platinum.

I think this gives you a little insight to the SO's thinking. What is important to her. It is not enough to her to work hard, try your best, and enjoy the experience. That all must be validated with a shiny plastic trophy!

I can understand that the SO may want to ensure that solos go to deserving individuals. I simply feel that there are better ways to measure this.
By DelilahDance
On Tue May 27, 2014 08:46 AM
Edited by DelilahDance (147955) on 2014-05-27 08:52:55
Edited by DelilahDance (147955) on 2014-05-27 09:35:33
Edited by DelilahDance (147955) on 2014-05-27 09:36:11
I wish this was just rumors.... unfortunately no.
last competitive season I quit choreographing solos/duets/trio's and stuck to groups only because I could sense that I was being judged based off of the competition results. It was just too much pressure for my students and I didn't want to put them through that any longer. So last year she hired out a new oblivious choreographer that will happily take on the job.

She is also cutting the preschool program in half to make room for more competition classes.

By hummingbird
On Tue May 27, 2014 10:26 AM
Yeah! She's Cray Cray!

Pre schoolers are the foundation of your school, cut those classes and you also cut your future classes.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 27, 2014 11:22 AM
So then you have some thinking to do. Your SO has made readily apparent what her intentions are (to be the big, high powered studio at competitions), and the fact that she intends to do whatever it's gonna take to get there (even if those things make zero sense, in the long, or short term). If you're OK with signing off on this vision - which you will be signing off on it, if you stay there - then great. If this isn't what you want to do, it's time to peaceably walk away.
By DaDancingPsych
On Tue May 27, 2014 11:34 AM
Even if I agreed with her vision for the school, I would tell you to run. Eliminating preschool classes is equal to cutting one's airway... the school will die. You will not have a paycheck.

My only exception to this is if she was not so much eliminating the classes, but rather combining smaller classes. If two preschool classes tend to run with two students in them, then yes, combining them and making them a class of four makes better sense. (Now, combining classes to make a class of 40 preschoolers is even another story. I don't need to explain why this is bad.)

ReplySendWatch