Forum: General / Travel

Travel
I've booked what appears to be the hotel from hell! Advice wanted.
By JosieJoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1210, member since Sun May 15, 2005
On Mon May 26, 2014 01:09 PM

Me and my friend have booked a holiday for the beginning of July to Golden Sands in Bulgaria. It is for 7 nights bed and breakfast at a 2* hotel. Everything included we have paid £304 each so I'm not exactly expecting luxury, but when I looked on Trip Advisor when I got home, the reviews are absolutely terrible!!!I've researched the resort itself and have read (and been told) that it's a really great place, but this hotel should definitely be avoided.

www.tripadvisor.co.uk . . .
(these are the views I've read)

We don't have the money to cancel and re-book so we are going to have to stay at this hotel. What I'm asking is, has anybody stayed at a bad hotel before? And if so, what's your advice on making the best of a bad situation?

Thanks in advance!

Josie.

13 Replies to I've booked what appears to be the hotel from hell! Advice wanted.

re: I've booked what appears to be the hotel from hell! Advice wanted.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon May 26, 2014 01:29 PM
I once booked a hotel in New Orleans on one of those sites that make you book sight unseen for a better deal. Once I found out which hotel it was, the reviews made it sound like I'd just reserved a crack den. We went anyway and it was fine. A little rough around the edges, sure, but people can REALLY over-exaggerate when it comes to some things. A one-star review because the view wasn't that great, or because one staff member didn't smile at you one morning is ridiculous.

Unless you have reason to believe your health or safety might be in danger, I'd say give it a shot. Ideally you're not going to be spending a lot of time in the hotel anyway.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Mon May 26, 2014 01:56 PM
Edited by Megan (87282) on 2014-05-26 14:17:46
People who review stuff online are often...the kind of people who are unhappy with everything. Not to say that a place with page after page of bad reviews is necessarily fine, but a few horrible reviews isn't automatic danger. And with hotels specifically, there's a phenomena where people who don't travel much expect everything to be just like home, and then when it isn't (especially in less developed countries) they totally freak out.

That all said- if I book budget travel, I bring Lysol wipes and a sleep sack (like a thin sleeping bag, used when I don't trust that the sheets are spotless) and a couple locks for luggage etc. just in case. I don't often have to use them but it makes me feel better.

And in future...always check the online reviews first. Pick places where the horrible reviews are much fewer than the good ones.

Edited to add: I just went to the link...honestly, it's #7 of 20 hotels in that area. Not even in the bottom 50%. I'm sure it'll be fine. It looks like you can pay an extra few dollars and get a room in their newer area as well, which people say is lots nicer. So you can go for that if you want when you check in, I bet. To me this just looks like a typical moderately run down budget hotel in a not-so-developed place. Really doesn't look panic worthy, considering how many other hotels are ranked lower in the same area.
By wannabe1 Comments: 24, member since Mon May 26, 2014
On Mon May 26, 2014 02:28 PM
My mum said there is all ways good and bad at every hotel. I hope you have a great holiday.
By wannabe1 Comments: 24, member since Mon May 26, 2014
On Mon May 26, 2014 02:29 PM
My mum said there is all ways good and bad at every hotel. I hope you have a great holiday.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Mon May 26, 2014 07:08 PM
I think you will be fine. Like Megan said, 7 out of 20 isn't really that bad. Likely I would have chosen to stay at this particular hotel too.

I kind of had the opposite problem last week though. My husband and I went on a weekend trip to Myrtle Beach and I booked a 4-star hotel directly through the hotel's website. All reviews were great and they all said how nice the place was, but we were less than impressed. The employees weren't the friendliest, the room was musty smelling (not exactly romantic), the whirlpool tub was dirty (we even paid extra to get the room that had it in there), and the continental breakfast was out of probably about half of their items. Just kind of blah.

Just goes to prove you can't always expect what you read online, whether it's good or bad. I say take a chance! It might be a pretty cool hotel.
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Mon May 26, 2014 08:29 PM
Bring ear plugs!

A loud hotel when you're trying to sleep is the worst, but being able to block the noise out definitely helps.

I've stayed in some pretty rough places, but as long as you're out and wandering around during the day and get a good nights sleep, everything seems better!
By MonkeyStepsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 294, member since Wed Dec 15, 2010
On Mon May 26, 2014 10:51 PM
I can't remember which comedian it is (I want to say Michael McIntyre but I might be wrong) but he does a bit about how people who enjoyed *insert thing here* rarely rush home and jump straight on the computer to write a review - it's the ones who had a bad time who shout the loudest.

I second the idea of taking earplugs! I always sleep with them in anyway but I really could have done with them for hotel stays back in the days before I wore them all the time. One time we stayed in a mid-range chain hotel for a convention. Clean, decent room and so on, but they gave us the disabled access room (we didn't need one) right opposite the elevator and we had to hear it going off and people walking past every few minutes until about 5am!
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Tue May 27, 2014 12:52 AM
It is another culture so the standards are going to be different. That's part of the fun of travel. Take some disinfecting wipes, check for bedbugs and don't go barefoot on the carpet or sit on the bedspread. I have stayed in some pretty manky places (pillows smelling of pee and strippers in the parking lot sort of places). Just enjoy the journey and wash your hands frequently. If something seems really bad (bloody sheet, heavy mold odor) use a book or translator app to ask for assistance nicely. The worst travelers are those who expect everything to be the same as home and throw a fit when it isn't.
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Tue May 27, 2014 01:04 AM
PS the review that said "they had never heard of Nescafé" is exactly what I am talking about! Tragedy!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue May 27, 2014 02:22 AM
Always always always take Tripadvisor with a pinch of salt. Some of these people, honestly....before we went to Vegas I saw that someone had given the BELLAGIO 2 stars because the door jam was slightly splintered. Like, the bit in the frame where the bolt shoots across. That bit. Two stars.

If you're going to Golden Beach you're not going to be spending a great deal of time in your hotel room anyway, are you? Isn't it clubs from 10-6, bed from 6-10, beach from 11-9?
By JosieJoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1210, member since Sun May 15, 2005
On Fri May 30, 2014 01:51 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I generally tend to be a glass half full kind of person anyway, so I'm not mega worried, I know what to expect now at least and like some of you have said, we're just treating it as a base and a place to sleep. That being said, I'll definitely be investing in some earplugs, as one thing that does piss me off to the max is being kept awake when I need to sleep!
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Fri May 30, 2014 05:08 AM
If you are new to sleeping with earplugs, I'd suggest buying some now and getting used to them. Some people find them hard to adjust to, but they're heaven sent!
By happy2day Comments: 20, member since Tue Nov 27, 2012
On Mon Jun 09, 2014 07:02 PM
If you can bring a set of sheets. At least then you will know the linen is clean. That will help in the sleep category.

ReplySendWatch