Forum: Arts / Body Art

Body Art
is this a tattoo "blowout"?
By ScotchGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5324, member since Fri Jan 24, 2003
On Tue May 27, 2014 07:06 PM

Apologies for the somewhat unfocused picture, could not get my phone to focus!

Anyway, I got this tattoo in 2010. It's on my hip. It has had a significant amount of spreading with the lines, as you can see from the picture. The lines were much thinner when I first got it, and I certainly didn't have that little drifting corner up at the top. My weight has fluctuated these past few years, so I don't know if that could be part of it. But I'm curious what others think it could be?

When looking it up, I learned about "tattoo blowouts" that occur when a tattoo artist tattoos too deep, skin spreads, etc. My tattoo didn't exactly match what I saw on Google, so I decided to come here and see if any tattoo enthusiasts have experience with this.

Thoughts?

3 Replies to is this a tattoo "blowout"?

re: is this a tattoo "blowout"?
By seannettaPremium member Comments: 2312, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Thu May 29, 2014 09:20 AM
There are a few things that could make a line go blurry. Yes, blowout due to bad tattooing is certainly one of them. Your picture COULD be showing blowout, but if the lines were sharp for quite some time after having it tattooed, I would suspect other factors are involved. Weight gain and loss changes your skin, of course, and that can most definitely blur tattoos. So if your weight fluctuation was significant enough, that could be the main factor. Other factors are how often that area of your body is rubbed -- if it's at the same point where the band of your pants usually hits, that could be another factor. Finally, if you ever suntan or hang out in a bathing suit where the tattoo is exposed to sun, that too would blur and fade a tattoo.

Finally, all tattoos eventually see some blurring, fading and so on and need to be touched up, regardless of how well you've treated it.
By Bril Comments: 150, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Thu May 29, 2014 12:07 PM
Are the edges of the tattoo ridged? (Ie scarred)
My first tatto was done too deeply and it scarred in places. Some of the lines also spread out a bit after a while.

I would recommend getting it retouched by someone who specializes in line work and touch ups.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Jun 14, 2014 05:41 AM
I really know little about tattoo's, so I can't comment on your problem you are having with your's, but could you do me a favor, and add a outline of s star (two tri-angles) right below the bottom of it.

Go - Spurs - Go!!!!!

Sorry, could not help myself there.

ReplySendWatch