Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
What to wear for an interview?
By Sumayah Comments: 6877, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed May 28, 2014 08:18 PM

So, I can't keep doing this whole retail thing anymore. I need something that isn't... that. So meanwhile I've been applying for, well, everything. I just landed an interview (OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG) and it's a for a receptionist position with a large commercial property company. It's definitely something I can do.

But what to wear?

It's already after 9pm and my interview is tomorrow morning at 10:30am so going shopping for something really isn't an option. I have to pull from what I have. This all transpired today. At 4:45pm. For an interview tomorrow. So yeah. I didn't put this off til last minute, it *is* last minute.

I have this dress:
Image hotlink - 'http://img.eshakti.com/clothImages/CL0027704L.jpg?s=y'
which I would wear with a cardigan. I have a 3/4 sleeve grey one, a long sleeved aqua one, a short sleeved tan one.

I have camel colored square toe heels I plan on wearing as they're my least beat up heels that would go with that dress. Nylons? I mean I have some, should I wear them? I plan on doing nice neutral makeup and flat ironing my hair so it's put together and tidy. Jewelry? I don't really wear jewelry so my options are limited.

I also have a pair of navy slacks and a blue pinstriped button down I could pair with a cardigan and outdated loafer styled heels. I don't own a nice jacket. I'd prefer the dress though, I feel pretty in it, but if slacks would make a better impression...

HALP! I will pm the company name/website if you want a better idea.

8 Replies to What to wear for an interview?

re: What to wear for an interview?
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Wed May 28, 2014 08:38 PM
That dress with a cardigan would say serious but stylish. If you're going camel with the shoes, I think light brown would pull it all together. I love a dress / cardi combo for interviews. It's formal but not too stuffy. The only thing that I'm worried about is that cutout on the neckline--does it make you too boobalicious? Some stuff on my sister looks obscene on me since we've got very different body types. You could wear a black tank top underneath if you feel you need the coverage.

Hose seems to be common in other places but not in our state. Wouldn't bother. I wouldn't overdo it with jewelry, especially if you don't have any. The clothes say enough on their own (freaking love that dress btdubbs).

Eeeep good luck!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed May 28, 2014 09:24 PM
The dress, tan cardigan and the camel heels would be best. I think aqua would go well as well, but it's getting hot and you might be thankful for the short sleeve.

As for hose...I only wear them if my legs look banged up, but I wouldn't if it is hot out (Here it will be 86', too hot for hose). You could always pop in a drug store and buy some Sally Henson Airbrush legs. www.sallyhansen.com . . .
On Thu May 29, 2014 10:55 AM
Okay, went with the blue dress, a soft dove grey cardigan, some burgandy/brown/wine/something like that colored heel I forgot I had, my "sapphire" studs, a sterling silver wish necklace of an elephant with his trunk up (he's good luck), my silver Tiffany link bracelet my mom gave me years ago (that I tossed in one of those Silver Lightning cleaning things and got the years of tarnish off), flat ironed my hair, put on some nice make-up and yeah. It's a casual company, so I was dressed one step above what I'd be required to wear. Basically I'll be shopping at the Gap if I get the job, lol.

I think it went well. Send some positive energy and thoughts or prayers out into the world for me. I really want this job.

Also, should I write an email tomorrow thanking them for the interview or something like that? I haven't done this whole professional interview thing so I'm a little blind as to proper etiquette.
re: What to wear for an interview? (karma: 1)
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Thu May 29, 2014 12:19 PM
Yes send an email within 24 hours thanking them for their time and consideration and express how interested you are in the job now that you've gotten to talk to them and look forward to hearing back from them. Stuff like that.
On Fri May 30, 2014 10:35 AM
Yes? No? Too eager?

Hello ______,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your time yesterday. I really enjoyed meeting with you and hearing more details on what the receptionist position entails. I am very interested in this job as I feel it would use my prior experience and skills and allow me further personal growth. I hope to hear back from you soon.

Thank you,
Sumayah
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Fri May 30, 2014 11:16 AM
I love that dress! I'm glad you wore it.
Also, I think that email is fine. Definitely send one.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Fri May 30, 2014 11:20 AM
The only thing I would change is make the last sentence about the company, not you. Say you think that you would be able to contribute the company rather than the company would help your career grow. Also instead of saying "hope to hear back" maybe using a stronger word so they know that you expect to hear from them soon. If they gave you a timeline (we'll get back to you within two weeks) remind them of that in the letter). Something like "I look forward to hearing from you in the next two weeks."
By Caulfieldmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 400, member since Mon Aug 31, 2009
On Fri May 30, 2014 11:28 AM
Edited by Caulfield (215826) on 2014-05-30 11:31:20
Absolutely not too eager. What would really push it over the edge is if you can think of something that you picked up in the interview that really stood out to you. Something like, "I was particularly interested in learning about _____." It shows that you were absorbing what the interview was saying, and then went home and continued to think about what was said.

May I also suggest that instead of saying "I hope to hear from you soon," you can say "I look forward to hearing back from you soon"? This wording will show that you're aggressive but not too aggressive. Some people may not like that, but it's always worked very well in my experiences. However, the email is still good as is.

And I agree with everyone else - the dress is gorgeous!

Edit: Haha, looks like Moonlitefairy and I posted at the same time with similar advice. Whoops!

ReplySendWatch