Forum: Highland / Highland - Teachers Only

Highland - Teachers Only
Associates and Medal Testing
By ScottishLilt Comments: 46, member since Tue Oct 01, 2013
On Thu May 29, 2014 09:09 AM

Hi everyone, I looked around to find the answer to this question but no luck- I'm sure someone here can help me.

I have my Associates through the SDTA- are my students now able to do medal testing, or is it only if I have my Members?

Additionally, if I need my Members, how do I go about arranging to take the exam? There are NO other studios near where I live that I could "jump in on" while they do their medal testing.

Thoughts?

9 Replies to Associates and Medal Testing

re: Associates and Medal Testing
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Thu May 29, 2014 12:15 PM
When you say you have your associates, do you mean highland only or nationals as well?

Either way, I would recommend working towards the other exams if you are planning on teaching and running medal tests for your students.

Otherwise, in a few years, you will have students being tested on steps that you have not been tested on teaching (if that makes sense).

To tell you the truth, I don't know at which level you can enter students for medal testing.
You could email SDTA. They've always been very helpful answering my questions and could send you all the paperwork for your exam at the same time.

As for the exam, are there any studios within a few hours drive? You might have to make a day of it. The only other option I can think of is applying to have the examiner travel out for you, but that could get expensive.

Or if you are truly lucky and know when an examiner will be nearby (eg a competition an examiner is adjudicating or doing a workshop), you could contact them and see if you could do your test then.

Good luck! (And study hard!)
On Thu May 29, 2014 08:14 PM
Thanks for the input! I have my Associates in Highland only, although I would like to continue my certification (but it's difficult at this time due to my location).

For some reason, I keep thinking you need to have your Members to enter students in medel testing.

Unfortunately, there are no studios within an hours drive, because there is no "within an hours drive" where I live :) I live in a remote community in Northern Canada, everything (including people!) must be flown in or out- there are no roads "out" of here. Having an examiner travel out here just for me would be incredibly expensive- however, if my students were also being tested, we could fundraise and it would be worth the effort. Another option for me would be to fly somewhere (I can easily fly to Ottawa) if there was someone available there to do an exam.

The reason I'm keen for them to do medal testing is because we are so remote, competitions are basically not an option, so I thought this would be something good to work towards for our dance school.

Thanks again for the input! I will check in with the SDTA to see what they have to say.
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Thu May 29, 2014 11:00 PM
Since you are officially remote, I wonder if SDTA would allow you to do an exam by video conference?

Having recently moved to electronic reccords they might be joining the modern age?...

Unfortunately, last I heard Yellowknife was the most northern highland outpost. You might just have to start the conversion from where you are!
By fairy_elephant Comments: 459, member since Tue Apr 26, 2005
On Tue Jun 03, 2014 03:09 PM
I'm BATD Member, but have a friend who teaches locally to me who is Asosciate of SDTA. She has entered her students for exams. Def best to clarrify with SDTA head office.

I emailed them about something recently and they got back to me within the hour! They will confirm for certain. Might be worth enquiring if they do an "exam tour" like BATD do. If you have your own profesisonal exam to do and a few students they might be able to accomodat eyou!

Good luck,
C x
On Thu Jun 05, 2014 06:20 AM
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I did end up emailing the SDTA, and the official word is you can enrol students in medal tests with your Associates, which is great for me! I'd like to start organizing for them to do medal tests next year sometime, if any examiner would be willing to come this far.

So, anyone with experience organizing medal tests? :)
On Thu Jun 05, 2014 06:17 PM
Also, thanks to everyone who sent me a PM with offers to help, it's so generous of you all!
On Sun Jun 08, 2014 02:59 PM
yip...my top tip is bee prepared! And get a few adult helpers to assist you. You will need an adult to be present in the exam room as chaperone for under 16s (this person can double a the piper / CD / ipod operator!). Get a mum to help with the teas / coffee / lunch for hte examiner and have another mum on shoe / costuime checking duty. I teach on my own at the moment and could not possibly run an exam session without my Mum and some dancers mums to help. Also get all your paper work done as far ahead as you can, especially if you will be doing last minute studying for your own examination!

In my last exam centre I had all of my students dance and then did my professional exam once they had all gone home at the end of the day which worked well for me as you are never too sure how long the examiner will keep you in there!
On Sun Jun 08, 2014 06:31 PM
Thanks for the tips!

How do you go about contacting/arranging for the examiner to come? I've emailed the SDTA but no answer so far.
On Sun Jun 22, 2014 02:32 PM
Do you have an Overseas highland co-ordinator? I'm not SDTA so can't really advise. I'd check out your website / recent SDTA publications to see who is the 'go to' for highland branch examinations in your area.

ReplySendWatch