Forum: Adults / 20 Something

New chapter: single after 4 years.
By JosieJoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 30, 2014 01:59 AM

After not really being happy for a while, I've split up with my boyfriend for good. We met at 18 and were together for 4 years (excluding a 2 month period in early 2013)and ultimately, grew up (or I did) and realised that our goals in life just weren't the same. He wanted to work on things, but after giving all I had for months and months and still not feeling 100% happy, I just didn't have the desire to. He's taken it badly and I've got a feeling that it might get a bit nasty, which I really don't want, but I'm going to stand up for myself if I need to. I'm sad that four years have come to an end, but I'm also glad that I've not got that unhappiness dragging me down any more.

So I'm now concentrating on completing the last few weeks of my teaching course, having a brilliant Summer (I've booked a holiday and tickets to Leeds Festival) and starting my first teaching job in September - exciting!

5 Replies to New chapter: single after 4 years.

re: New chapter: single after 4 years.
On Fri May 30, 2014 02:15 AM
www.dance.net . . .

...This was me by the way, if you want more of a back story.
By foreverlostmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri May 30, 2014 10:27 AM
A hard fact of life is sometimes things just don't work out according to original plan. I split with my ex of 8 years almost a year ago. While this can be a rough and drama filled time, it can also be new, exciting, and room for a lot of growth. After having gone through something very similar my one bit of advice is, don't let the loneliness get to you- do something for yourself everyday, until you start creating a new lifestyle and new habits.

Eventually you'll meet a new guy that will definitely let you know that you made the right decision with your ex. :)
By imadanseurPremium member
On Fri May 30, 2014 08:00 PM
It's hard when you met someone so young. You tend to out grow one another, or just grow in different directions. That is why getting married so young has such a high failure rate. For the most part, I don't think you are destined to be with the guy you meet at 18. They are just part of a learning curve.

Good that you aren't trying to make this work, or staying in longer because you don't want to hurt him. Move on, and eventually he will too!
On Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:19 AM
So I've now found out that he never even told his mum the true reason we broke up the first time (him cheating), which means that he lied to me for a whole year! When I took him back it was on the condition that he was honest with his family (particularly his mum, who I was close with) about why I had broken up with him because I felt that this was very important. I asked him if he had told her and his response was 'yeah, she already knew' which was clearly a big fat lie as I know for a fact that she didn't then and still doesn't now. Wow, I just lost a whole lot of respect for him. It also makes me question what else he may have lied to me about.
On Sun Jun 08, 2014 03:55 PM
...and now there's more. I've found out that he cheated on me with more than the one person that I knew about and slept with a lot more people than he'd have me believe. Wow, he was a compulsive liar and I never even suspected. I'm disgusted.

ReplySendWatch