Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Plowing through with Plantar Fasciitis?
By celticwhim
On Sat May 31, 2014 06:29 PM

I was wondering if any other dancers suffered from this and if so, what have you done that helps? I JUST got rid of awful shin splints and then this kicked in. I actually had it for two years, mildly, even before I started dancing I just didn't know what it was. It has become aggressively painful in the last few months. I have tried everything short of getting a 24/7 boot AND going to the doctor which is next on my list. I have put it off because I have had a lot of feisanna lately and was afraid my doctor would tell me to stop dancing. It actually feels worse when I stop dancing, but it is affecting my steps especially in soft-shoe when I have to put all my weight on the bad foot. I guess I am just wondering if this will go away without me stopping dancing? I have tried to rest, but I seem to just end up on the floor dancing away again, taking meds and trying to ignore the pain.

15 Replies to Plowing through with Plantar Fasciitis?

re: Plowing through with Plantar Fasciitis?
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 31, 2014 07:18 PM
I don't do Irish, but I have experience with plantar fasciitis. www.dance.net . . .

Do NOT ignore the pain. Because I ignored it for so long, my tendon is/was 50% torn.

Go to a podiatrist, they only take care of feet/ankles. :D

Sorry to say, you might have to stop dancing for a while.

Your doctor might want you to get special inserts for your street shoes, avoid flip flops/non-supportive shoes.

I use something like this when I'm dancing, they feel amazing: www.silipos.com . . .

Also look at taping your arches and shins while you dance: www.running-physio.com . . .
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 31, 2014 07:28 PM
going to see a doctor is a good idea. Wearing shoes with a stiff sole can help. learning how to tape your arches can help. Rolling your arch over a frozen water bottle a few times a day can help.
By celticwhim
On Sat May 31, 2014 09:03 PM
Dancing_EMT thanks so much for your advice. I went ahead and ordered one of those foot pads. I didn't even know they had those. I have ONE MORE feis coming up and then plan to rest up over the summer to try and heal my foot. I'm going to try the frozen water bottle too. Thanks!
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 31, 2014 10:35 PM
Yeah, plantar facisitis is bad, bad, bad. My dad used to be a runner (never a dancer, but still an active guy who demanded a lot from his feet), and he ended up with ruptured tendons and serious surgery. That was almost a year ago, and he's still not 100% (but much much better than pre op!). Granted, some of it was just from oddities with the way his foot is, but still...

The point is, see a podiatrist, maybe also a PT. If a doc says it's not SO bad, a PT can give you stretches and exercises to prevent further damage, maybe tape you up if they think that would help. Also, I know you can use KT tape (which you can get at most chain pharmacies) to tape for PF. Ask your PT to show you how. There are videos on the KT website, , but it's wise to check with a pro when you know you already have an injury.

Also, the frozen water bottle trick is AWESOME. Again, I don't have PF, but it's also awesome for arches that are sore after a long day of dancing!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 31, 2014 11:05 PM
You can tape (which does help), regular old athletic tap works just fine. But if it is severe pain-wise, I'd go to a doctor.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 31, 2014 11:34 PM
When I first got back into exercising and dancing I developed Plantar Faciitis. That's why I went back to ballet once I was past it. I needed to re-learn to use my feet better to help avoid it.

Luckily I went to the doctor early on and discovered that I had better immediately quit dancing, walking, and even standing -- just stay totally off my feet as much as possible in daily life in order for them to heal. That was tough but necessary. It can also help, while you are healing, to never go barefoot but have a pair of good, supportive athletic shoes by your bedside to slip into the moment you stand up. In addition, there are sole-of-foot-foot-stretching devices you can wear at night while you sleep which really do help. Plus you should try strapping as already suggested. Google the term Low Strapping -- named after a doctor Low. There are many variations of Low strapping and you need to experiment until you find one which is right for you.

Now I am careful to wear good, supportive shoes, forever, and even use orthotics in addition to that. Some people get expensive custom orthotics but for me it is enough to put Dr. Scholl's over-the-counter sports-type orthotics into all the shoes I wear. The foot pads mentioned above look like they might fulfill the same role.

For me it took only 3 months of staying off the feet until I could at least ease back into walking and doing low-impact aerobics. But if the condition is too far advanced it may take 6 months or even a year. It's necessary, though, otherwise you may damage your feet to the point that you will never dance again, ever.
By bethnee_rose
On Sun Jun 01, 2014 07:04 AM
With my PF it didn't develop slowly, but rather I was walking home one day, stepped on something sharp and voila! But after months and months it got to the point where I was practically crippled, could not put any weight on at all and relied on leaning on people to move lol! So anyway went to the dr and was told I had three options: moon boot, series of cortisone (I THINK that's what it was?) injections that would have been painful but a sure fix or taking a course of pain killer/swelling reducing tablets and resting for two weeks. Chose the third option and after two months was totally back to normal, after three weeks though the difference was insane!
By sarahrID
On Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:22 AM
Find a PT or sports therapist who does the Graston technique. I haven't had to deal with PF, but have had this treatment for other issues. My best friend had horrible PF from playing tennis. Her doctor and another PT (who didn't do Graston) told her the only option was to stay completely off her foot (crutches and a boot) for months. She went to a doctor who specializes in sports med and he did Graston and, combined with PT exercises and stretches, she was pain free in about 5 months (and did not have to take any time off from tennis).
By QueenOf_TheDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:38 AM
I don't have a chance at the moment to read the other comments, sio someone may have already said this, but I got plantar fasciitis back in February.
After a couple weeks of pain, I ended up going to my chiropractor and got some acupuncture - and I haven't felt pain since :)
I do a lot of calf stretches and I used to sleep with a night brace I got from CVS, but I don't really need it much nowadays.
Good luck and feel better!
By boleyngrrl
On Sun Jun 01, 2014 09:06 PM
Shin splints and PF can have a common cause of not good enough support through the arch or just not enough support in the shoes. Are your daily walking around tennis shoes old and worn out? Are you wearing dance sneakers? No dance sneakers. It sounds to me like you need to get some custom orthotics. If you can't get a custom one, go to wal-mart and stand on the Dr. Scholl's orthotic evaller. It's not perfect, but it's definitely better than nothing.

I agree with the taping, ice bottle, and Graston comments.

You CANNOT push through PF. You shouldn't plow through PF. Take a tennis ball and roll it around under your foot. The last thing you want is a tear. Please just go to a sports med doc or at least your GP and get a prescription for PT. The quicker you address this, the quicker you will be back to dance.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
By blondcat
On Tue Jun 03, 2014 07:55 AM
My husband is a podiatrist. NO, you cannot push through PF. He had me stretching my calves every 4 hours and taping for dance when I needed to for performances. I did not rest the injury long enough and eventually tore my right PF. I was unable to dance for about 6 weeks. I have not had PF pain since (the injury was 6 years ago). Apparently my tear was similar to the last-resort surgery done to relieve PF pain. However, I DO NOT recommend doing what I did. It was excruciating and there is no guarantee that you will be lucky enough to heal as I did.
By StrattonBlack
On Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:37 AM
I also agree about finding a good chiropractor or PT who can help you through it. They told my daughter to roll her foot on a golf ball, not to the point where it hurt, but just to get the pressure on it. Also, good tennis shoes. No flip flops, cheapies, etc.
Good luck!
By GirlGeekPremium member
On Tue Jun 03, 2014 05:50 PM
Plantar fasciitis sucks, no doubt! I'm glad to have gotten through it.

What worked for me:

1) The root cause of mine: my foot and ankle bones were out of alignment and not moving properly, and so the muscles and fascia were ganked. My chiropractor fixed this, and keeps an eye on it now.

2) Soft tissue work with a Certified Neuro-Muscular Therapist (specialized massage). She worked on the irritated muscles and tendons, and broke down the fascial adhesions that had worked.

3) Self-care: stretching (feet and calves), rolling, ice/cold water after dancing as needed. Sock-footed, I'm fond of the Melt Method ball set, though I don't specifically use their exercises; in my dance shoes, I use the green ball with spikes I found at a running shoe store.

What didn't work for me: steroid injections (very temporary relief with the first one, no relief and massive bruising after the second). Limited relief from a plantar fasciitis brace which held my foot at a right angle, but no actual improvement.

Good luck!
By GirlGeekPremium member
On Wed Jun 04, 2014 01:30 PM
Replying to myself, since my post is too old to edit:

I've also found toe stretchers to be very helpful, though I couldn't tell you whether it's specific help for PF or just helping to keep my feet working better in general.

-Stephanie
By celticwhim
On Sat Jun 28, 2014 08:59 PM
Thanks for your advise. STILL waiting for an appointment for July 15th for my primary. It might be a while until I actually get to see a foot doctor. I've slowed down a lot, but I admit I still dance from time to time. Hardshoe is a lot easier on my foot than lightshoe. Sometimes it actually makes my foot feel better to dance.

ReplySendWatch