Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Bad Foot Cramping + Gaynors
By iv_loves_pointe
On Sat May 31, 2014 08:02 PM

Hello! I have been wearing gaynor mindens for a two years now. Every time I get a new pair of them, my feet cramp SO BADLY. It takes them a few combinations to get back to normal. I've always had a problem with cramping, even in traditional shoes, but in gaynors it gets so bad. No matter how much water or bananas I have before class, the first few times in new gaynors hurt so badly. Today, in rehearsal, was the worst. I ran my dance once and I couldn't sit or walk without excruciating pain. I couldn't even walk! It took it a while to uncramp. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you!

1 Replies to Bad Foot Cramping + Gaynors

re: Bad Foot Cramping + Gaynors
By Gavrilushka
On Sun Jun 01, 2014 03:03 AM
Just a guess, but the shank could be too soft for you. You have to be super picky with Gaynors. Even though you may like the feel of a softer shoe, a harder shoe might be needed. Could it be the shank height? I think all Gaynors are 3/4, perhaps a shorter one is what you need? To me it sounds like your arch isn't getting the support it should and the beauty with paste shoes is that they mold to your arch perfectly, but Gaynors are well...Gaynors. I know you can shape them by applying direct heat and have heard of some shoving their shoes into the oven so they can shape the plastic to best fit their arches.

Just make sure you're warming up well before pointe.

ReplySendWatch