Forum: Irish / Irish

Dress styles for adult dancer
By Snaqueb
On Tue Jun 03, 2014 08:28 AM

Hi everyone!

So I'm making a goal for myself to be back feising by 2015. In the mean time, I need to start designing my costume, so I have a few questions. Some background info: age 33, prize winner 16&O.ECR. Need something elegant and modern, can't afford to buy new or used so I'll be making it.

I really like soft skirts, are they still a thing? I'm thinking a 3 tiered one...
I also really like the "belted" look (would also help disguise my mummy tummy!) is that still a thing?
As for hair, I'm loving the side bun look! What kind of wig do you use for that, and do you have to have long hair to pull it off?

That's it for now. Will post more questions when I think of them!

3 Replies to Dress styles for adult dancer

re: Dress styles for adult dancer
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:05 AM
I am about your age and dance in Prelims.

Here is me in my dress and side bun wig:

www.dance.net . . .

The dress is about a year and a half old and I am thinking of making myself a new one for Oireachtas.

IMHO, anything goes these days for dresses, especially in grades and prelim. Do what you want and makes you feel good. I think the key for elegant dresses is to keep the color palette limited to only a few colors.

The thing to keep in mind about soft skirts is that they actually have a slightly rigid structure underneath them to create that "Irish Dancer" silhouette. Also, I am seeing less and less new 3 tiered skirts.

The bun wig I use is the Alana from Celtic Curls

www.celticcurls.com . . .

Your hair would need to be at least long enough to pull into a side pony.
By MammaPeach
On Mon Jun 09, 2014 02:30 AM
This is my dress, I'm 28 and I'm a a mum. I bought mine second hand and I'm updating the side panels and back and cape soon.

I wear the Fiona by Celtic Curls, but I'm hoping to buy the Maggie Senior and the Double Alana Bun wig in the next few months.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 09, 2014 03:47 PM
I'm only 23, but as a designer, here are my thoughts; make whatever makes you happy.

It seems that loads of people are concerned about what's trendy and whats going out of style, etc. But to be honest, like samcarter said, anything goes these days. And to be even further honest, if I could, I would easily wear one of the older 5 panel dresses from a small handful of years ago (I just can't find one on the market that I can fit into). That being said, I designed and had made a very VERY current dress that may be out of style within 6 months, but I don't care. I love it. It's my baby.

So the question you need to ask yourself is what do you want your baby to look like ;)

I think, in terms of elegance, that sticking with jewel tones would be in your best interest, and maybe stick with velvet for fabric choices (maybe a soft sequin skirt to give it some shine to it without having to buy tons of crystals to achieve the same look).

As for side bun, like also said, you need hair that's long enough to pull into a side ponytail for the wig to attach. The most common type of wig I've seen has been loose curl bun wigs (ones that don't have ringlet curls of any type). It seems to blend in with hair the best. Another option could also be that, if your hair isn't long enough, you could always wear a full wig and pull that into a side ponytail and maybe even play with it to create a side bun look.

Best of luck with your dress creating endeavors!!!!!!

ReplySendWatch