Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe shoes still usable if shank at demi-pointe area snapped?
By kellyballetviol
On Sat Jun 07, 2014 03:32 AM

Hi! I just wanted to know if pointe shoes are still usable if the shank has snapped in the demi-pointe area (it doesn't feel all that different - okay, a bit, but the shoe still supports (ish) at the arch)? I technically only tried balancing on the shoe for half a minute after the shank snapped so maybe it's too little to go on. Only one of the shanks have snapped so I feel like it's such a waste if I don't continue using them since they're actually quite new. For the record, they're Grishko medium shanks. Thanks in advance!

4 Replies to Pointe shoes still usable if shank at demi-pointe area snapped?

re: Pointe shoes still usable if shank at demi-pointe area snapped? (karma: 1)
By Tishwah
On Sat Jun 07, 2014 04:12 AM
That is something I used to do to my pointes all the time, and that was it, they were busted and I had to get new ones. My teacher would not let me dance in them once I had broken them that way. :(

Others may disagree but I think they are ready to be deshanked for demis now.
re: Pointe shoes still usable if shank at demi-pointe area snapped?
By hummingbird
On Sat Jun 07, 2014 08:10 AM
I agree with you Tishwah, they need to be deshanked and only used as flats, it doesn't matter where the shank has broken there's not full support for you on a broken shoe.
By kellyballetviol
On Tue Jun 10, 2014 01:34 AM
Okay, thanks! I'll just deshank them and use them as demis for practicing at home.
By JoeSkinnies
On Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:26 PM
you can still use the shoes, it might be a bit harder to stay en pointe, I recommend putting some jet glue in the area where it broke

ReplySendWatch