Forum: Arts / Fashion

Fashion
Express dress pants
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:22 AM

I don't know if they would even look good on me, but since they are so expensive I wonder if they are good quality? (well, $69.50-$88 is expensive to me) Has anyone tried them? If I did go try them on and they looked good, I wouldn't want to spend that much if they are going to end up falling apart or something.

www.express.com . . .

I bought to shirts there last year and they only lasted a year. But they were lace and I didn't expect them to last longer than that.

14 Replies to Express dress pants

re: Express dress pants
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 01:09 PM
I buy a lot of Express clothes with good luck, but I've never gotten dress pants there. I would highly recommend dress pants from The Limited though.
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 01:57 PM
Express is a bit hit or miss. I feel like it's kind of a reaching store, as in it projects itself as being better quality and more high end than it really is. The casual shorts and sweaters I've gotten from there have held up, but I'm not sure I would pay $80 for Express dress pants when a pair from the J.Crew or DKNY outlets would cost about the same.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 03:33 PM
Every pair of Express dress pants I've tried on has been a weird polyester blend. Good if you don't want to iron but I thought they didn't look great (and the sizing was pretty big too.) I think you can get better ones at that price point.
By moara Comments: 955, member since Thu Jun 24, 2004
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 03:36 PM
Edited by moara (97529) on 2014-06-11 15:37:08
I love Express pants and pencil skirts, because they are tailored to fit a woman exactly my shape.

However, I did find that the material pills fairly quickly because of the high polyester content. Some blends make better material than others. The stitching, so far, has held up well, though. I got them 8 months ago.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 03:38 PM
As someone who had never owned a pair of dress pants up until a few weeks ago... I bought mine at Express. Their pants were the only ones I could find that didn't look absolutely awful on me. I can't vouch for how long they last, but I bought them while they were running an awesome sale and got four pairs for under $120, so I'll be happy with a year worth of wear for the price.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 03:55 PM
I'm wearing Express dress pants right now actually. I have a few pairs of them and have been very happy with the quality. They are my go to for dress pants and suits (along with white house black market, but they are more expensive).
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 04:34 PM
I wouldn't say they are great quality, but for $80, they are ok. The best ones I got were at Nordstroms but they were like $200. Surprisingly, my Express pants seem to be in the same condition as my expensive ones.

See if you can find some dress pants at department stores on sale or outlets.

The sizes run large at Express. I would say to try them on in person, because vanity sizing has really affected Express in the last few years. There is 4 size difference between when I first started wearing express to now! ( that's just in 10 years)

Also, they kind of stick when I get sweaty. I am not sure if it is the cut or the material but they feel funny on a hot summer day.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 05:25 PM
Thanks for the tips! I'll probably go in and try them on. I get coupons like every week in my email because I signed up for their rewards card when I bought those two shirts.

Today I went to Marshalls, Maurices, and Target. No pants that worked, either the material was too thin and you could see everything wrong with my legs through them or the waist was huge but the length, hips and material were right. I'll hit Marshalls again later in the summer, since they always have different things. I might try Ross as well.

Lauren, if I had $200 to spend on pants and they were perfect I would definitely spend it on the pants.

I have one dressy pair of dress pants and they are Larry Levine. I think I should have gotten an 8 instead of a 10. My other work pants are Arizona "school pants." Which goes well with my shirts I wore when I was able to wear jeans to work - which was my aim, I didn't want to waste those shirts and they fit the dress code. But I'm not a big fan of them, but they were cheap.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 06:50 PM
Hmm.. I've found that Express sizes run pretty true to size, or perhaps even run a little small.

Ohh,totally forgot. I picked up a pair of dress pants at NY & Co for a steal as well. I don't ever go in there, but I was desperate for pants and actually found some great fitting ones.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 08:48 PM
^ Not to digress too much, but do you really? I find them at least a full size larger than other brands I buy (except the super huge Banana Republic/J Crew kinda sizing.) I do find stuff we get from the US up here is often a bit roomier though, just cut differently from the more fitted European brands, so that might be the explanation.

Sorry to get off-track there, but yeah, make sure you have a good look at the fabric. That kinda shiny polyblend can sometimes look cheap.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 08:52 PM
One thing that I find kind of annoying about Express now is that they no longer carry short and long in the stores, you have to order them. At least it's good that they have them so you don't have to get them tailored but I did really appreciate getting pants that were ready to wear. I'd say they are pretty true to size too. I haven't experienced vanity sizing in their dress pants. The editor style is there most popular but they came out with a newer cut a year or so ago that I like better, I think it's like columnist or publisher (some other newspaper term). So they have more variety now then they used to too.
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 09:02 PM
Ugh, sizing. Usually I can grab an 8 or 10 and one of those will fit. At Target I had to grab a 12 because just looking at the 10 I knew there was no way it was going to fit. At Maurices I think the 11/12 was huge (which I picked up because in juniors jeans I wear an 11) and the smaller one was just way to big in the waist.

Lengths...I usually do regular. But if I'm getting them for flats I'll get short. Since I'm 5'4" I'm kind of on the edge of short to regular and petite to women's.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Jun 11, 2014 09:15 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-06-11 21:20:10
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-06-11 21:21:52
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-06-11 21:26:08
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-06-11 21:29:21
I was just in Express two days ago. I am not sure if they recently changed the sizing. I have a pair of size 2(newer pants) and a size 8 (MUCH older pair). They are similar for me. Although these are Express jeans and not dress pants. I actually asked someone working there and they said the newer jeans have a different shape to them and more of a " stretch" which is why they changed the sizing. J crew, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Express and brands like that usually run a bit larger. I usually buy my jeans at Macy's or Nordstroms and I buy using European sizes. ( example 26 or 30 etc) I think vanity sizing is more of an issue when it uses single numbers like 2,4,6,8,10 etc vs 23,24,25,26,27,28 .

All bets can be off for dress pants though, I don't have a super old pair to compare to the recent style for an Express Dress pant.
Their size chart online seems to portray the sizes pretty accurately. When I go by the chart, they get me within a size or two of my actual size.
If the waist is too large, but everything else fits perfectly... Get the pants at Marshall's and have them tailored to fit your waist .I feel that only a very small percentage of women can wear something right off the rack.

If you are a size 12 at Target, maybe try on a size 8 or 10 at Express.

My favorite styles are Subtle Stripe Wideband Editor Flare. I have a bit if a stomach pooch, so those cover up all my bits and pieces quite well. I wouldn't recommend the "Ultimate Doubleweave Barely boot Columnist" these make even my very tiny friend appear much larger. They cut in at a weird angle!

forums.thenest.com . . .

Here is a whole thread about people complaining about vanity sizing at Express. Although, most stores have vanity sizing, so maybe Express IS the same size as your clothes, if you usually shop at places with vanity sizing.
On Sun Jun 22, 2014 09:08 PM
My mom bought me a pair of dress pants for my birthday. Apt 9 "curvy fit" from Kohls and they are perfect (not much of a gap at the waist). Light weight which is good for summer, with a wide leg (which I prefer). When I get paid at the end of the month I will try on the Express ones and go to those other stores I mentioned.

ReplySendWatch