Forum: Adults / Weddings

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

Weddings
So I bought a wedding dress...
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Thu Jun 12, 2014 08:43 AM

Because my boyfriend saw a commercial for David's Bridal's clearance sale and he can't resist a great deal, haha. I hadn't even planned to wear an actual wedding dress, but just buy a white cocktail dress or something and suffer the wrath of my female relatives. But I bought one because it was $100, on sale from $600, and I couldn't have even bought a random not-wedding dress for that.

However, there weren't many dresses left in the clearance in my size, and while I like the dress well enough I'm a bit worried I'm going to look like a fairy princess.

So, yeah. Any ideas on how to style this so it doesn't look too...precious? I have a killer pair of bright blue Swarowski-encrusted heels that should help, but if anyone can suggest shoes/hair/whatever to make it a little less romantic-tutu-tastic, I'm all ears.

If it matters, we are just doing a very very small wedding. Just vows and dinner, no "reception" as such or anything. It will likely be in April next year.

39 Replies to So I bought a wedding dress...

re: So I bought a wedding dress...
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:15 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-06-12 10:16:56
I can help you a bit with styling later, but I just wanted to come in to say that I LOVE the dress!

Congratulations on the wedding too!

I don't think it looks too princess like, I feel like the huge ball gown they wear in churches are a lot more Princess looking. This looks a lot more simple, and I just adore it!
By PHD_againmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 444, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:13 PM
While I can certainly see how this dress could be made to look fairy princess-ey I don't think the dress itself is innately fairy princess. As long as you don't wear a crown of laurels or put flowers in your hair, you should be just fine.

It's a little had to tell from the picture but it looks to me like the dress might be a bit wispy. If so, maybe you could add a belt of some kind (maybe blue to match the fantastic sounding shoes?) if you wanted to break up the flow of the fabric?

Either way, I'm sure you'll look beautiful in it!
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Thu Jun 12, 2014 08:38 PM
Is it the bulk of the skirt that's worrying you? If so, just de-bulk it (take out some of the underlaying tulle/chiffon, or even have the gathering re-done at the top) :)
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:52 PM
^ More just the natural waist with the chiffon, I think, and the general softness of the thing. I don't generally buy floaty stuff.

I'm not sure how bulky it actually will be, because the store only had a 12 stock so I couldn't actually try it on at all because it was just too big. On the hanger it didn't look so full that I'd need to operate on it, so I'm hoping not. I'm not into paying for more than basic alterations from my usual tailor. I'll find out when mine arrives, but I think the problem will lie more in the super-soft look of it. Like I said, it's not my usual style but I found it appealing anyway.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:22 PM
I will be an April bride too :)

I think you should wear a bold, bright statement necklace with it.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:36 PM
Maybe make sure that every additional accessory is super clean and modern to contrast with the softness of the dress.
On Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:07 AM

Thanks for the help so far, ladies! If it helps, the shoes I thought to wear are a lot like these, but not peep toe and without the platform.

I have some very plain silver cuff-like bangles that might be good for clean, modern jewelry, and that strikes me as a good idea for sure, rather than any kind of sparkly, ornate stuff. Fortunately my tastes runs to plain in the extreme, normally. I wear simple white gold hoops almost every day and a very streamlined pave pendant necklace.

I'll have to post a picture of me in it when it arrives. I am actually a bit nervous that I'm going to feel like I'm wearing a costume. I wanted this whole wedding thing to not be a big deal but having an actual WEDDING DRESS kind of makes it suddenly stressful.

He also told me I can't just have the ring when it hits our mailbox because he wants to do some kind of actual formal proposal, and thinking about that is pretty much giving me heart palpitations. He knows me well and that I hate all scenes, fusses, and public displays of anything, but I still am dreading it a lot.

Can you tell I'm not into weddings? Hahaha. I wish it could just be over without anyone being too disappointed. My province doesn't do courthouse weddings (you have to get a marriage commissioner), and this is literally the most bare-bones way to get this over with I can manage, but it is still giving me such anxiety. I love my boyfriend and I want to be married to him but I'd love to skip the wedding part.

So that's probably part of my dress-related worry. At least my outfit is something I can control, lol.
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:47 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2014-06-13 11:48:54
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2014-06-13 11:50:02
You're a no nonsense kind of girl. You won't let yourself get walked on or put into a situation you don't like. Be straight with him. If it means a lot to him to have a formal engagement proposal, then let him know that you don't want a scene. A private moment - even if staged - is fine, but a public display in a restaurant or large public gathering would be overwhelming to you.

I tried to find other pictures of the dress because, seriously, that is the absolute worst picture to promote that dress. The back view makes it look a bit more straight forward.
Image hotlink - 'http://www.sweetieveningdress.com/images/338/WG3619_001.jpg'
Because it is going to fit at your natural waist, and if I remember correctly, you're a bit high waisted and have a somewhat larger chest, you don't want a wide belt, but something like this would bring a pop of color without overwhelming your frame. If you want it less frou-frou, get rid of the bow detail on the bust to make it a simple bodice. The tulle isn't a princess or fairy style, it doesn't look poofy. It more looks like it adds some movement and texture.

Accessorize it like you would a Grecian draped style dress. Simple and clean. Pop of color in the shoes and belt, do a headband or fascinator with a sleek hairstyle. It you carry flowers, keep it simple - maybe some long stem flowers wrapped with ribbon to match. Done.

It doesn't have to be fairy princess floofy poofy disney ballgown. You can keep tulle and chiffon low key. :)
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Jun 13, 2014 03:09 PM
I think if you have your hair styled in a sleek and modern way, it'll tone down the floatiness. The beachy waves thing going on with the model is probably the exact opposite of the direction you need to go.

Congrats! :)
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:13 PM
The shape and the high low hem is making me think about dresses from the late forties, early fifties. I agree with Sumayah, I think it could look really sharp with a fascinator and those shoes just scream forties pin up girl to me.

I think it's the perfect dress for the wedding you're describing.
On Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:59 AM
Thanks so much, everyone. When it arrives I'll test out some of this and post some pictures.
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 03:24 PM
I got it today and it fits perfectly, but there is a TON of cleavage. He'll love that, which I guess is the important thing, but jeez. I am terrible at taking photos of myself in our weird little warped mirror but I tried. The last one has my boobs tucked into my armpits, haha, which helps.

I think it's much less stump-ifying in person though, iPhone angles and my mirror aren't height friendly.

I feel a bit huge in it, both chubby and poofy. But I assume I'll get used to the thing if I keep trying it on. And lose five pounds to see if my boobs shrink, haha.
On Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Updated to add: showed boyfriend, boyfriend approves of the boobage, so I guess it's officially what I'm wearing.
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Sun Jun 22, 2014 01:00 AM
I think the dress is stunning, you are stunning in the dress (holy boobage batman! And I mean that in a positive way, from complete jealousy ;) ), and the shoes are perfect!
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1263, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 07:26 AM
Wow. You look WAY better in that dress than the model does!

Are you concerned about the cleavage? Cause I think it looks just fine! In the pictures it doesn't look like over-the-top, about-to-pop-out boobage to me. Granted, everyone has their own levels of comfort with showing decolletage, and you need to feel comfortable in the dress, but I honestly think the dress style suits you perfectly, just as you are right now. :) Congrats on finding a gorgeous dress at a great price!!
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 09:26 AM
^ Totally agree! I think the fact that's it's frilly and feminine balances out the boobage quite nicely--if it was a slimmer cut it might read as a little TOO sexy, but I think it looks really great on you.
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:52 AM
I appreciate the votes of confidence, but submit a close-up where I have not tucked my boobs into my armpits and...yeah. I honestly worry more about them making me look big than the actual, like, cleavage, I think. I work pretty hard to stay a size 0 or 2 and those things make me look heavier than I'd like a lot of the time when they're so exposed.

(Not to pile a bunch of body image issues into this unnecessarily, but I figure I'm likely to be unhappy with how I look regardless so I might as well just make a decision and stick with it.)

I may take it to my tailor and see what she thinks. With the construction I think it would be hard to pull bulk from the skirt, so I might just have to stick with this slightly Barbie-cake-topper aesthetic, haha. I made some rumblings about sending it back last night and boyfriend was not happy, so I think it's staying regardless of how my feelings evolve on it :P

I'm going to try a belt and get boyfriend to take a couple better photos and see how it goes. I hope to find some way to wear it where I don't feel like a pair of walking faceless breasts.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:21 PM
What if you widened the straps with some tulle? I don't know whether it would add too much bulk or distract from the girls, but it may be worth a shot just to see what it does to the dynamic of the neckline.

You sound like you don't feel either confident or beautiful in this dress, which I'm concerned about. I think you look absolutely gorgeous in it and apparent so does your SO, but if YOU don't feel that way then it's really time to reevaluate. You want to feel stunning on your wedding day, and if you don't in THIS dress there IS another out there that will make you feel that way.

I had a teensy wedding and had compromised quite a bit on my dress and really wish I hadn't. Don't be kicking yourself every time you look at your wedding photos like I do!
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 01:45 PM
Edited by Megan (87282) on 2014-06-23 13:47:15
Thank you for the kind words, Nyssa. Unfortunately I don't know if I've ever really worn something I feel beautiful in so I don't know if it ultimately matters too much what degree of uncomfortable I am...I just don't want to horrify anyone with my chest or look huge in any photos. I've been wondering if I might be able to do something with some tulle at the top but I hadn't thought of more strap, I was considering something sheer across the dip in the bodice if I could find a way to make it not look like I ran afoul of prom dress code and covered myself with tissue or something. I think I have some tulle in my sewing basket I might be able to play with.

Clothes shopping is always an ordeal regardless so I think I'm going to make the best of this one. Generally when I have an event to attend I can just throw something on and leave, but if I have time to pick something apart I will change clothes 15 times then cancel my plans.

Apologies for all the body issues, kids, and I swear this wasn't intended as an excuse to air them. It was way easier to find this fun and helpful before I had to actually put the thing on and now it's devolved into "I hate my body and the way I look in all clothes, wah waaaaaah." I assure you that having these thoughts every time you think about yourself is a thousand times more awful that being bored by reading about it, if that makes you feel better, haha.

Tl;dr: I apparently need a therapist more than I need style advice. But the style advice is appreciated regardless.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 03:33 PM
I think the dress is beautiful, and more importantly, I think you look beautiful in the dress. As someone with a bigger chest who happened to be raised by the queen of modesty, I, too, tend to be more self conscious about the girls than most. I was going to suggest some kind of sheer something to go over top. Pinterest has a lot of great ideas for that.
re: So I bought a wedding dress... (karma: 1)
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 04:57 PM
Have you tried experimenting with necklaces? They can really change the depth of the neckline because it breaks up the empty space a bit.
Alternately, you can have your tailor either alter the V shape for a more subtle sweetheart or put some sort of organza or lace to raise the neckline a little. But really, I think it looks fine just the way it is, especially for a smaller wedding. I think adding a necklace would make a whole world of difference for you.

Think it's also cute your shoes are your 'something blue'. Hahaha.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 06:11 PM
Like everyone else, I think you look lovely in the dress, and the cleavage isn't really that bad. But being busty, I get how self-conscious it can make you feel.

Following on from Nyssa and Sara's ideas, a sheer, lacy or even glittery bolero (depending on what suits the dress better) may take some of the focus off teh bewbs without looking obviously like a coverup. Image#1 has similar cleavage, but the lace draws the eye away from it and back towards the face.

(All images ripped from a Pinterest search for "wedding dress bolero jacket")
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:30 PM
Caffeine, that second picture was exactly what I was picturing, rather than a modesty panel, a cover up that looks like it goes with the dress.

That said, I don't think you need it because you are looking SMOKING! :D
On Mon Jun 30, 2014 01:48 PM
My ring came, but he let me try it on then took it away :P

I kept the dress but haven't been able to bring myself to try it on again. I will soon so I can try to come up with something.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch