Forum: Adults / Weddings

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: So I bought a wedding dress...
By Sumayah Comments: 6878, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Jun 30, 2014 02:47 PM
That's gorgeous!!!!
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon Jun 30, 2014 02:52 PM
WOOOOOOW your ring is perfect!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Jun 30, 2014 04:00 PM
It bums me a little bit that you don't feel beautiful in the dress...and that's just OK. When I put on my dress for the first time, I was so excited that I practically started vibrating. My cousin cried the first time she put on hers! If you don't feel good in it, and you feel too on display in it (which you don't, and you do, in order...), then how good of a deal it was doesn't even matter, because it was all for nothing. If this isn't the dress, keep working until you find it. You're conceeding a LOT for this, what you look like shouldn't be one of the things. He'll be upset now, but it won't kill him. Guys are harder to kill off than all that. LOL...
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 07:16 AM
I agree with Theresa, maybe you said earlier in the thread about why this has to be your dress... but why does it HAVE TO be your dress? You don't like the style and you don't like how you look in it and you don't want to try it on again. Not sure if I understand...
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:47 AM
It has to...because I already bought it, boyfriend loves it, and I am pretty much guaranteed to feel this way about any dress in existence. I rarely try on regular clothes when I shop either because if I have a chance to put something on I will hate it and not buy it. I'm not going to walk in a store and find something I think I look great in, unfortunately.

I'm not a fan of my body and there's not a dress out there that's gonna fix it. I don't hate the dress itself, either, although it's not my usual style. I think it's pretty or I wouldn't have bought it. I'm just not happy with how I look in it. But I'm going to have the same body in anything I wear, so it's not really the dress that's the issue I guess.

If it makes anyone feel better, I also bought the first prom dress I saw without trying it on for the same reason.

I'm not intending to drive anyone crazy here. I just...really don't see my wedding as a huge deal. It's the marriage that is important to me, and the wedding is just a day I have to make it through first so the people I love most are happy. I don't see it as the most important day of my life but more like a stupid hurdle to cross that means a lot to people who mean a lot to me. I'd like to please them by looking relatively conventional, and I don't want anyone to think I look ridiculous, which was my motivation to post this in the first place (fear that those loved ones would think I looked silly.) I have zero need to feel like a beautiful bride or whatever gets pushed on Say Yes To The Dress et al. I just want to get through this, let our mothers see a wedding, and have it all over with. If it wouldn't make our parents etc. so sad, I would absolutely choose jeans and a marriage commissioner's dining room table. But I'd rather make the families happy and do something small. I love them enough to put on a dress and let them hear the vows and all that. I'm not going to be pushed into 200 guests and stupid centrepieces and a $3000 gown and bridesmaids, but I can handle twenty people and a white dress and a nice restaurant if it will mean so much to my mother. And it will, so it seems like a reasonable price to pay.

So...yeah. I'm missing the bride gene totally, I guess, and that is not making this whole thing easier.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:10 PM
It seems to me like you have a good view of what's going on. But just because this is primarily for something else doesn't mean that it can't have enjoyment for you, too! "The Dress" is the excitement for many people, but if it's not for you then that's fine. My advice is to find something else that you can be excited/happy about--it doesn't have to be the dress.

As for the dress itself, if you don't want attention on your chest...could you add another detail that draws attention? Something for your head to draw the eye up? I didn't have a veil at my wedding, I had a headband that I just loved. Maybe for you it's a colorful pair of earrings, or a streak of color in your hair.

Just a thought.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 05:15 PM
but I figure I'm likely to be unhappy with how I look regardless so I might as well just make a decision and stick with it.

Seriously...it is your wedding day and you are just going to be miserable?? Why wouldn't you want to go find something you really like?? You'll hate your wedding pictures, and that would suck.

I'm busty too, and I know many other women who are and find dresses that are complementary and that they look good in. I think you look great, and I don't think you are "busting" out all over, but if a shrug makes you feel better than so be it. If you are just forcing yourself to stay in this dress for all the wrong reasons it is a BIG MISTAKE!!!
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 05:36 PM
I don't really know how to be clearer about this without sounding entirely pathetic...but I am NEVER happy with clothes. Not wedding dresses, not casual clothes...so unless there is an actual miracle out there I'm not likely to find a dress I love, you know?
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 07:19 PM
I get you. As someone just starting to think about wedding dress shopping, I don't really understand the expectation of a brilliant beam of light shining down at you like a sign from above when you try on 'THE dress'. Some people have that zing, for others it's just something to wear so you won't be naked in front of your family.

You said in earlier posts that you found the style appealing even though it's not your usual style, and you don't hate it. Your BF/fiance loves you in the dress and you can make it work for one day (when hopefully you'll be too busy/happy/excited/in love/etc to pay attention to the bits of your body you don't like). Given that, there's no need to get disappointed and discouraged trying on dress after dress after dress after dress in the hopes of getting that *zing* when you look lovely in what you liked when you bought it off the rack.
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 07:29 PM
Are you willing to get it altered at all? Because it looks gorgeous from the back. Your skin is so nice and you've got a great body. While you look great as is, my opinion on the front is less that you look like you're busting out, and that with the bow detail and the fact that your chest is large gives the illusion that you don't have a defined waist. It goes boobs into skirt. From the back it's obvious that you have a lovely figure.

Could it be altered to add a panel in between the waist and bodice, or under the bust using the bow to cover and blend the insert? It could either match the dress materials or match your shoes like a permanent sash/belt at your waist. That way the girls could be sitting up in the bust of the bodice, instead of being pulled down to your waist (if that's what's happening).

My dress wasn't my favorite thing either. It was the first one I tried on. I actually hated trying dresses on. I'm your opposite shape. I had no boobs but hips and a butt. So everything was laughably big on top or crazy tight can't get it over my hips to fit my chest. (I was a size 0/2 on top and a size 8/10/12 on bottom - nothing ever fits me off the rack unless it's a-line... and even then :/) The dress I picked was the floor model with a rip in the train. Didn't care. My bouquet was what I adored.

But I think you'll be beautiful regardless.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 09:21 PM
I hope you find a middle ground. You don't have to have a zing moment but I hope you find more than feeling just meh about your dress.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 09:21 PM
My mom's friend's son got married a few months ago and we talked to her just after she bought her mother of the groom dress. She said it is something she never ever would have picked out for herself and she doesn't even like it that much. It was pastel pink and this lady is a hot latina mama who only wears bright colors. But her husband found this pastel dress at David's Bridal that he really liked and asked her to try it on. She really wasn't even a fan of it after trying it on (too pastel, too conservative), but when she walked out her husband's jaw hit the floor and he said he couldn't take her eyes off her. She said the reaction that her husband had and the fact that he had picked it out made her want to buy it, in spite of not totally loving it. I just saw pictures of her from the wedding and she looked absolutely radiant...the first thing you notice isn't the dress, it's her ear to ear smile.

So don't worry....life isn't Say Yes to the Dress and your wedding day is not about the dress nor should it be. I think you will be too happy and beaming with your new hubby to even think about what you are wearing.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:45 PM
If you don't like your clothes....that's why the universe invented shoes!

If you know you won't be happy with the perfect dress, go hunting for a pair of cute heels that make you feel great! I know you already have something in mind for the shoes, but I would spend a couple hours trying on shoes like you would a wedding dress.

I would say, splurge on a pair that you would normally feel guilty about getting. After all, these are your wedding shoes...that you can totally rock over and over. You wear a wedding dress once.,,you can wear shoes for a lifetime!
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:48 PM
Sorry for the bad photoshop, but you get my gist. The first one I raised the bodice and lowered the skirt line just a bit. Second one I thicken the straps with tulle and lined the top of the bodice. Third one is the bodice raised and the skirt lowered with a pop of color. The fourth is changing nothing but adding a belt to define your waist. I know you're not looking to drop loads of money on this dress, but those should be easy alterations should you decide.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:51 PM

^ I really think that adding thicker straps would make all the difference in the world. It would balance out your shoulders/chest area.

Also, try a statement piece of like this. I think it would help balance out the chest . I am also a 32 DD, and I know we discussed that we have similar bodies, I wore a necklace like this the other day, and it pulled my dress together.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch