Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
I don't know what to do...
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Thu Jun 12, 2014 04:09 PM

Up coming job openings and I don't want to do the wrong thing. For the same pay grade that I am now, there are 3 new full time spots in a new call center. So, 40 hours and I am currently working 25. This would be great because I am interested in working in reference and this would be answering quick reference questions etc.

I put my name in the pool for a 20 hour Graduate Research Assistant through the schools library. If I got it I would do it in addition to my current job. But if I got a full time spot I couldn't do it. This would not be an income but a tuition waiver, which would be totally awesome.

I put my name in the pool for up coming promotions, but I don't know yet what they are for or how many hours but since they asked for bachelors degrees or higher, I know they would be all supervisory positions, which I want so that later on down the road I have the experience to be a manager. Some of these will probably be full time but most would likely be part time. I'm fine with part time as long as it is a higher pay grade. I've interviewed for four of these sorts of positions in the past year and not luck yet.

So, kind of my goal is some kind of supervisory position preferably in reference for a few years then manager by the time I'm 30.

I don't want to apply and get a job then miss out on something else because I would have to wait six months before I could apply for a new spot.

If I got a full time spot, I would take 6 credit hours at a time instead of 9 like I did last semester. Which would cause me to graduate a little later than I originally planned.

6 Replies to I don't know what to do...

re: I don't know what to do...
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Thu Jun 12, 2014 05:27 PM
If you are looking for a job, or looking to improve your employment, there is nothing wrong, and everything right with applying for everything available. You don't know which if any you will get to interview for, and even if you interview and are offered, you don't have to accept. When you do interview, create a pro/con list afterword so that if you get offered the position, you've already thought it through. It is true that if you accept a position, you don't want to immediately change your mind and go with something else, but don't close any doors until you have to.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Thu Jun 12, 2014 06:08 PM
I don't think I should apply for the call center thing...since it would be a lateral move and only for the money (I'm living with my parents and while it would be fantastic to move out, I don't *have* to). I don't think it would look any better on my resume than staying at my current spot while waiting for a move up. But, I live 24 miles from my current work location and the call center would only be 7 miles.

I've heard that, at least in where I work, if you turn something down it is harder to get interviews later. That they will ask you why you turned it down before offering an interview. I don't want to hinder myself career wise, by interviewing and turning down a job.

I've only not applied for one available promotion because my manager used to work at the location and basically advised me against working there because it was pretty terrible.

I'm sure I'm sounding pretty scattered right now! I just need to talk through this and but my mind at ease. I think I need to focus on long term career goals. Because unless I see an amazing opportunity somewhere else (out of state) I'm working for this place until I retire.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:09 PM
My theory in life is apply to anything and everything that seems like I am qualified and could do a good job at.

Mostly what I'm here is to give you my experience in a call center. Really give it a lot of though and find out what kind of environment it is and if that will work with your personality before deciding on a call center. I've worked in one since the beginning of the year and it's not for me. I feel stuck to my cubical and headset, talking to 80-100 people a day is tiring, being stuck to a very specific schedule and knowing that if I take a random 2 minutes of a break it will hurt my score card sucks, and I am just the kind of person that likes working with people in person and with a team. Not to mention now I have a call center on my resume and it's become a bit of a topic in my interviews that were for administrative positions which is what I want to get back into. Not trying to talk you out of it, just sharing my experience. Everyone has a different personality, call centers are great for some and not for others. It's not a great fit for me at all.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Jun 14, 2014 09:27 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-06-14 09:31:25
I did a call center for about 5 months and quit. You really have to be social and a bit outgoing and not take things personally. People took out their anger on me at times, and I had to learn not to take it personally.

I couldn't even take a bathroom break, because if I took 5 minutes, my score went down!

Knowing what I know of you on DDN, I don't think call center work is for you. It is very high stress, and you are going to be talking to a BUNCH of people, some people who are rude.

I was working for a major ballet company call center. Even for such a " nice" call center, people were pushy and rude. They think you are just a voice over the phone with no feelings.

I was an introvert talking in a call center and I hated it. It made me feel sooooo drained at the end of the day. I know you are an introvert too, and you sometimes have a hard time dealing with rough characters.

I consider myself able to work with all kinds of people, but I only lasted 5 months at a call center. It wasn't very rewarding work either. There wasn't much flexibility, and I just felt like another number to people. I would much rather deal with 20 people then 200 anonymous people on the phone.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sat Jun 14, 2014 09:39 AM
When will you know about the assistantship? Trust me, graduate assistant will look far better than call center on your resume. And you're right, no way will you be able to do a full time job and the assistantship at the same time. 25 hours is even pushing it. I have a 20 hour assistantship and unless I felt like working 7 days a week, I had to restrict my other job to 15-20 a week.

A lot depends on the specifics of your career goals. You said you want to do reference. Do you want to do reference at a public library, or reference and instruction at an academic library? Because if it's the latter, you're going to have a really hard time without experience in both academic reference interviews and instruction, whereas if it's the former, any sort of reference experience could be beneficial.

I'm biased because my assistantship is my favorite thing ever. I enjoy library school as a whole, but it is what makes me passionate about it.
On Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:01 PM
You are all right about the call center. Even thought it would be a small one, I don't think it is "me." My grandmother works in a call center and loves it. My mom tried working at the same one and hated it and I'm more like my mom than my grandmother.

Kekoa, within a few weeks they will decide on who gets it. If I could stay working in public library (the system I am in now) I will. Because I am already in the system and it is hard to get librarian and manager positions if you aren't already in. But I would consider academic if it would get me out of this state. I enjoyed working in my under grad library, in addition to circ and shelving I got to help process new books and it was pretty cool. I like the idea of doing reference in a academic library because it would be more research and less, "I started this book a few years a and it was red with a girl with a hat on the cover" or "I don't know what my email is."

ReplySendWatch