Forum: Irish / Irish

Injured Dancer with a Feis Soon
By Pitch_Black_Ink
On Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:40 PM

Hi all,

So, I'm new but I have a HUGE problem. When I was born, I was born with flat feet, knock knees and inverted hips. We've gone to doctors and everything and I have had 8 injections of Botox into my muscle which was supposed to relax it so they could work on my tendons and get them to the right flexibility. I have had day-braces, night-braces, inlays and casts, all in the effort to fix this problem. My parents want to stay as far away from surgery as possible.

Nothing has worked and I still have the problem. I love dancing, but I can't dance for a long period of time without my knees hurting from knock knees, my arch hurting because of the flat feet and recently I have been getting the feeling of my bones rubbing against each other as though there is no cartilage in my ankles. We've gone to physical therapists and though I continue to do the exercises given to me, there is no relief.

I have a competition coming soon, and I'm worried that I might not perform as well as I know I could because of these defects. I'm fifteen years old and I have suffered with this my whole life.

If there is anything anyone could do to help, it would be much appreciated.

1 Replies to Injured Dancer with a Feis Soon

re: Injured Dancer with a Feis Soon (karma: 1)
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 14, 2014 09:20 PM
There are times when you have to look at a feis not in terms of how you are going to do against the other dancers, but how you will do compared to yourself.

As long as your doctor and/or physical therapist say that your aren't doing long term damage to your body by dancing, there are things you can do.

I've danced post injury, knowing that I wasn't back to 100%, knowing that I wouldn't place, but I love to stand up on stage and present my best dancing.

I would talk to your TC and tell him/her how you're feeling and try to figure out what steps you can do that will minimize your pain, and help you to have your best performance- a year ago I herniated a disc in my back and lost the ability to lift my heel off the floor at all for almost a month, and my foot was weaker and unable to jump for a month beyond that. I chose to do two feisanna while recovering, because it was still worth it to me. I went through all of the steps I knew and picked a combination of steps (some from easier levels) that helped to hide the fact that I couldn't push one foot off the ground. I hid it well enough that I placed 2nd in prizewinner reel.

There are ways to work around moves that you can't physically do, as long as you are communicating with your teacher and finding alternatives.

Good luck, and I hope that you can find a way to keep dancing- but do it in a way that takes care of you, as well.

ReplySendWatch