Forum: Arts / Fashion

Fashion
Are these swimsuits appropriate?
By SwordInStone Comments: 192, member since Thu Aug 11, 2011
On Mon Jun 16, 2014 02:16 PM
Edited by SwordInStone (239239) on 2014-06-16 14:17:12 excessive spacing between paragraphs

Hey, guys.
I just bought two swimsuits because I figured I was getting too old for my green one-piece with the rosettes and the little skirt. Friends are all wearing triangle tie-on bikinis, but I'm afraid they'll fall off easily, so I got something else:

cdn.buzznet.com . . .

img.auctiva.com . . .

First one in black, second in white because I wanted to look like a mummy. I got both for cheap on Ebay, and they sure look good on, and neither would fall off without my permission. However, in hindsight I realized that both look a bit like lingerie. The second one, especially, is much sexier than what I usually wear.

Would these be appropriate for swimming laps with my brother at the gym? Or just hanging out with my colorful triangle-wearing friends? Should I add board shorts? I'm twenty, very skinny with hardly any curves--if you approve, I will be sure to wear both with confidence and without self-consciousness, so hopefully that attitude will make these suits look more conventional.

I was going to get a Speedo one-piece, but to be honest I think some of my male friends are attractive, and I don't want to fall behind while the other girls are being sexy. I act like a boy, might as well look like a girl so they don't forget, y'know?

So, would these suits be appropriate to wear when hanging out with peers or working out with my brother?

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate all replies.

14 Replies to Are these swimsuits appropriate?

re: Are these swimsuits appropriate?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon Jun 16, 2014 02:23 PM
Laps would be hard in these swimsuits. I wouldn't be surprised if you flashed people.

As for just light swimming and sunbathing, it would work. You might get some really funky tan lines though. I would say they would look cute for a pool party with some wedges...but not much for working out and swiming laps.

I think most girls don't look attractive when working out. If you are swimming laps, worry about the actual swimming and not the boys. You can always get a super cute coverup to wear over a one piece and save the sexy swimsuits for just hanging out in.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Mon Jun 16, 2014 03:31 PM
They're a bit, uh...Kardashian for my tastes if I'm being honest, and they do have a very sexy pseudo-BDSM vibe that I don't think I'd want around relatives or even my friends. But that's just me. For a Vegas dayclub, definitely, though, haha.

I dunno, I think there are a lot of options between tie-on triangles and full bondage. What about a monokini with the side cutouts? Those look great on angular girls.
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Jun 16, 2014 04:00 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2014-06-16 16:02:09
Definitely not my cup of tea, but I mean, you dig them and if you're hanging out at the lake or beach and just having fun with friends? Sitting poolside? By all means. But working out and swimming laps? I mean... I'd find something less sexy. I'd feel awkward as hell wearing either of those in front of my brother at the gym. And frankly he'd probably feel uncomfortable if he's working out and guys are checking you out because you're in this sexy swimsuit - the gym really isn't the place for it. I'm not saying you need an unflattering one piece, just maybe something a little more toned down for the gym. Rock the sexy suits in the right situations. You wouldn't wear high heels and a tight dress to work out in no matter how great your legs look in them, it's impractical you know? Same with the swim suits.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Mon Jun 16, 2014 08:05 PM
How old are you?

I don't think these are any more or less appropriate or inappropriate than a triangle bikini to be honest. Theoretically they cover up more but they do draw the eye to the breast and pelvic region and I"m not sure thats what you want. They are fine for hanging out by the pool in if this is a style you like (assuming you are at least in high school) but I would certainly not wear them while swimming laps. You don't have to get a traditional speedo to swim laps in if you don't want to. There are two piece suits where the top is more like a sports bra that could probably work, similar to what some beach volleyball players wear.
By SwordInStone Comments: 192, member since Thu Aug 11, 2011
On Tue Jun 17, 2014 09:00 AM
Edited by SwordInStone (239239) on 2014-06-17 09:01:41
Ah, I see.

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. If you search for swimsuits on Ebay they all come up several times...to be honest, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to swimsuits and such. But you're right, and I'm just starting to see the pseudo-BDSM thing. How awkward. Good thing they were both under ten dollars. I'll save them for Vegas or something.

By the way, I'm twenty (definitely too old not to know more about these things).

Once again, thanks a lot for the help, you guy saved me from probably a lot of embarrassing moments. I'll get a Speedo two-piece.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:27 AM
If you want a one piece, there are plenty of really cute, stylish, young ones out there.

For instance, this is the one I'm getting for the summer

www.anthropologie.com . . .#/

There are plenty of stylish, more modest options if you don't want a string bikini that are way cuter than speedo suits. High waisted bikinis are popular right now too.
re: Are these swimsuits appropriate? (karma: 1)
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:36 AM
I don't think anyone is saying don't wear them if you want to feel sexy in front your hot male friends. You're 20. You're allowed to be sexy. I think what most of us are saying is that they aren't working out, swimming laps at the gym appropriate. They are completely appropriate for flirting at the pool or lake or beach.

Also, the second one reminds me of Leeloo in the Fifth Element. Multipass!

Some of the two piece Speedos are super cute and definitely serviceable for swimming as exercise without being crazy modest. But rock your other sexy suits in non gym circumstances with your head held high. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:50 AM
Yes, exactly what Sumayah said.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Jun 17, 2014 03:53 PM
Just to reiterate, definitely wear them with your head held high when hanging with friends if you like the swimsuits. I honestly thought you were going to say you were a lot younger since you said your friends started wearing triangle bikinis (this phase started for me around age 15 or so). You're twenty, your more than old enough to choose bathing suits you like, just choose something else for exercising to avoid any slipups!
By dance4ballet Comments: 1202, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Wed Jun 18, 2014 07:30 AM
I would totally rock these! I think they look great! (I'm 22). In Australia styles like this are very popular! I think they are super sexy but still practical ( won't fall down or up like a traditional bikini.)

I would probably wear a workout style suit eg speedo brand for swimming laps though :)

But you should definitely wear these to the beach you'll get toms of compliments.
By ballet4beth Comments: 12, member since Fri Jul 26, 2013
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 06:37 AM
I think they both look fabulous. Maybe the second in white may look a bit too much like lingerie but the first is my fave. Don't let the earlier comments put you off. If you've got the confidence to wear them then do it!
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 01:46 PM
You know, I work at a fetish store (desperate times, desperate measures) and BDSM didn't even cross my mind when I saw them. Maybe because I've lived by the beach for too long? I don't know. I absolutely love the first one and that's saying something. I tend to prefer more vintage cuts like the higher waisted bikinis which are popular in the modern pin up scene.

Honey, you don't need ANYONE'S approval to wear what you like. You only need your own, however, if you do feel uncomfortable making such a big transition, there are other, more modest, but still very sexy swimwear designs out there. It's more important to feel comfortable as yourself than trying to fit in.
re: Are these swimsuits appropriate? (karma: 1)
By LizDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1140, member since Fri Jan 06, 2006
On Fri Jun 27, 2014 01:08 PM
If you're looking for something cute and a bit sexy while also appropriate for swimming laps, I'd recommend a Jolyn bikini! They're made for swimmers and other athletes, but the idea is that you should be able to look cute while you work out. They stay on really well and have a lot of cute cut-out styles and fun criss-cross tie backs. I'm a competitive water skier, and I wear my Jolyn suit for skiing and for just hanging around the pool with friends. I honestly think it's the sexiest bikini I own, since the cut of the bottom is more revealing than my other bathing suits!
On Fri Jun 27, 2014 02:38 PM
^ I've never seen those Jolyn bikinis! They are amazing and TIE BACK! Thank you for posting. I have a narrow ribcage and large chest and swimwear is a huge struggle for me because I need the cups to cover but the back to actually be snug and not sag down my back. You may have just changed my life, haha.

ReplySendWatch