Forum: Adults / 30 Something

30 Something
Starting over somewhere new….In search of a studio
By Bailarina100 Comments: 1, member since Wed Jun 18, 2014
On Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:30 PM

I moved to the San Antonio, TX area about a year ago and have yet to find a good dance studio for me. I have danced all my life and have taught for several years. I just recently went back to school (physical therapy) and have not taken any dance classes in over a year. I am definitely not complete without dance in my life. I miss it so much. I know the right thing to do would be to seek out all the adult classes in the area and see which one is a good fit. I'm really afraid to go back because I am so out of shape. It's probably all in my head, but as soon as you tell someone you have danced before it just seems like they have certain expectations of you. I think part of that fear is just the realization that I am now in my thirties and my body doesn't work the same as it used to.

I know I'm choosing to dwell on the negatives instead of all the possibilities. Another factor is how difficult it is to find quality adult dance classes. It appears many studios think that just because you're older, you're not serious about continuing to learn and improve. Sigh�don't get me started..hahaha.

Anyway, does anybody have suggestions for a good studio in the San Antonio area. I'm mainly looking for ballet, but am interested in everything as long as it's a quality studio. Also, does anyone know of teachers that give private lessons?

Thanks!

3 Replies to Starting over somewhere new….In search of a studio

re: Starting over somewhere new�.In search of a studio
By nodoubt_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1510, member since Thu May 13, 2004
On Thu Jun 19, 2014 08:30 AM
I can respond later today when I have a chance. I am very familiar with San Antonio.
By nodoubt_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1510, member since Thu May 13, 2004
On Thu Jun 19, 2014 02:55 PM
I really enjoyed taking class from Roxanne Pena at San Antonio School of the Performing Arts. She can do privates. A friend and I took privates with her and also regular class.

Other places with decent ballet: Connallys Dance, Alamo arts, ballet San Antonio academy.

Oh and I have a friend that will definitely do privates. Ashely Dulin at Orchid Dreams Dance Co. I know she has been doing pointe privates with another adult dancer.

I personally enjoy modern dance the most an spareworks dance or uptown studio are the places to go.

I'm sorry for any grammatical errors. I'm on my iPod touch.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Jun 21, 2014 01:54 PM
Hi! I too will drop you a note. I live and work in the San Antonio 'burbs, and I have found a studio I am very happy with and we have a nice small group of adult's. Had a great fun class today in fact.

ReplySendWatch