Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Competitions

Ballet - Competitions
YAGP 2015
By balletmac Comments: 67, member since Sat Jan 25, 2014
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:31 AM

I know it's a little bit early, but I am going to be competing in YAGP for the first time in 2015. I have several questions about it. If you have competed, what was your experience like? How hard is it to qualify for the New York Finals? What variations are extremely popular that I should avoid?

The variations I am currently considering are listed below
Grand Pas Classique
La Esmeralda (Act 1 & 2)
La Fille Mal Gardee (Act 2)
La Bayadere 3rd shade
Paquita (Wedding or Etoile)

I have also found out via Twitter that the Aspicia variation from Pharaoh's Daughter is now accepted for senior girls without written permission, and I am considering that as well. Now that it is accepted, do you think it will be extremely popular?

Which of these variations would you recommend? Also, I want to perform two variations in addition to my contemporary. Is that a good idea, or should I only perform one.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really curious and excited for next year!

1 Replies to YAGP 2015

re: YAGP 2015
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 01:26 PM
Grand Pas Classique, Esmeralda, and any Paquita are all done quite frequently. After those three, I'd say Lilac and Giselle were next most popular. I was the NYC finals this year and these seemed to be over represented. That said, if you can do one of these exceedingly well, go for it.

I did notice several things at the finals. The majority of the senior girls had great feet and used them well. Most also were close to the typical ballet body type (the few more muscular build dancers stood out to me for that reason). In the end, they were almost all excellent dancers. The ones that stood out and also made it to the very last round also had exquisite artistry.

ReplySendWatch