Forum: Arts / Fashion

Fashion
Snow boots? Waterproofing Uggs?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:34 AM

I know that it's a ways off, but I'm moving up to the northern midwest spring 2015. I'm from there originally, but it's been 5 years since I've lived there and I was much more, um, fashion oriented back in the day. Now that I'll be in a position where I have a job and am taking public transit regularly, I need a pair of really good waterproof boots that are cute enough that I don't feel gross wearing them to Target or a restaurant or the mall or whatever, but would be primarily used for commuting.

I have a pair of these, barely used since I moved to the deeeeeep south shortly after getting them.

Image hotlink - 'http://www.acheterboutiquebottes.net/images/large/acheterboutiq/bottes-UGG-Sundance-II-Ch-taigne-155_LRG.jpg'

These have a lot of pros. Namely, that I think they're pretty cute as far as winter footwear goes and I already own them. However, I'm highly skeptical that they can be properly waterproofed. Now, to be fair, I've never waterproofed any of my Uggs because I've lived in the lower Midwest and deep south for 5 years now, so snow isn't an issue, just 40 and 50-something winter days. The three snow days we've gotten though, my Uggs were soaked within seconds and took forever to dry.

So, my question (sorry, so much blabbering), can these Uggs be waterproofed well enough to be comparable to a pair of Sorrells or something similar?

If not, any suggestions on what to get?

11 Replies to Snow boots? Waterproofing Uggs?

re: Snow boots? Waterproofing Uggs?
By hummingbird Comments: 10418, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 08:17 AM
In short, no, even if you did get them semi water proof they still wouldn't stand up to the grit and salt used on the footpaths. They would make a really good fall and spring pair of boots though when there's less snow and ice.
By seannettaPremium member Comments: 2312, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 09:08 AM
I'm from a really snowy town, and quite frankly I scoff at people who attempt to wear Uggs in the winter. They're good for warmth, but nothing else, no matter how much you spray them. You need waterproof boots made of a material that can also stand up to grit and salt.

I'm not sure about the midwest, but here in Canada rugged-looking snowboots have actually become somewhat "cool." Especially Sorels -- they happen to be very practical because they're warm and completely waterproof, but they also happen to be available in a ton of different styles. Everybody wears them.

People here also often wear Hunter rainboots in the winter, which look kind of cute with skinny jeans tucked into them. Now, these boots are not warm at all, but you can actually get special boot socks that help keep your feet warm.
By Live_on_Broadway Comments: 2538, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:15 AM
Another Canadian here, and I agree with the above two posters. Invest in a pair of Sorels or similar. I own a pair of pink and black Sorels, and they're amazing -- warm AND waterproof. I also own a pair of black Hunters to get me through the rainy weather in the spring and fall.
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 440, member since Thu Apr 01, 2010
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:29 AM
Uggs (those kind of Uggs) are simply not winterboots. They can not be made into winterboots.

You need something with a good thick sole that can provide traction. Uggs actually make real winterboots too. I've had them a pair for 2 years and they have been just great.

A lot of people wear Hunter boots with those fleece inserts here too.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:54 AM
I live in Prairie Canada and I wear Uggs pretty much all winter, but that's because it's too cold to be wet. They aren't good in wet snow or slush, but they are cozy in powdery -40-type conditions.

I have some kids' moulded plastic snow boots I wear when it's wet snow but other than that my Uggs are fine. They look TERRIBLE though from all the salt stains and crap. I don't kind because for me their purpose is not fashion, but yeah, actual winter isn't good for their looks even with all the stuff I spray them with.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:25 AM
Ditto the aforementioned. I love my Uggs and have several styles. But they are not snow boots. They are warm and great for snowless days, but you can't trudge through snowy, wet, or salted roads/paths in them if you want them to hold up longer than a week. It's worth the fashion sacrifice to get a real pair of snow boots that are waterproof.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:04 PM
Gotcha. To keep up my Minnesota street cred, I definitely know they're not trudge through the snow shoes (my first pair in high school lasted like...two winters and looked awful), I was just hoping that if I got them professionally waterproofed, they'd stand up to some slush. Guess they'll be relegated to October/November and March/April cold, dry days ;)

I've found a few pairs of Sorels that are pretty cute.

Also, I don't know how anybody can wear rainboots. I got some when I moved down here because it rains constantly, and I wore them approximately once...they were foot torture! :P
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Fri Jun 20, 2014 07:51 PM
Yeah, I've attempted Uggs in our kind of snow, and I couldn't make it the 50 feet from my door to the bus stop without them getting soaked. They're definitely best for fall weather around here.

As for heavy-duty winter boots, I've got a pair of short North Face boots I got a couple years ago from REI that have held up really well, and they're tall enough that I can still tuck my jeans in so the ends don't get wet. Sorels would be a good bet too.
re: Snow boots? Waterproofing Uggs? (karma: 1)
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:16 AM
As someone who comes from the place that Uggs were invented - they are slippers!!!
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Sat Jun 21, 2014 08:02 AM
I love my Hunter boots! I can trudge through snow, slush, and rain no problems. I bought mine a little big and wear thick ski socks under them to keep my feet warm. Last winter was brutally cold and long and I had no problems!
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:47 AM
Ugg boots were designed for the Australian winter. Do you know what an Australian winter is? No snow, not much rain, really windy and never reaches below 28 Fahrenheit, that is, if it even gets close to that!

But if you do really want to use them, there are shoe covers made of rubber (galoshes) you can slip onto them which covers the foot part of the shoe. I've never seen them sold here, but they are very common in Russia.

ReplySendWatch