Forum: Advice / Beauty

Beauty
What to do with the wrong lipstick shade?
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sun Jun 22, 2014 04:39 PM

I got some red lipstick a while ago and when I first tried it out, I thought it was okay but I never wore it out. I was goofing off a little today and tried the red again and I decided I don't like it at all. It's NYX Chaos. I'm not sure if it's the wrong shade for me or if I'm just not cut out for red, but I know I'm not going to use it. I tried putting a super light pink shimmer over top but wasn't impressed the result. Is there anything I can do with it other than throw it out? Is there a good way to dilute it?

I'm very pale, so for the future am I better off sticking with pinks for bold lips instead? I've noticed a lot of the pale movie stars rarely (if ever) have red lips and when they do its for the super glamour shots. Any general suggestions?

5 Replies to What to do with the wrong lipstick shade?

re: What to do with the wrong lipstick shade?
By premier87 Comments: 4, member since Sun Jun 22, 2014
On Sun Jun 22, 2014 06:19 PM
Donate to a friend who can pull it off
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sun Jun 22, 2014 06:37 PM
I'm white like virgin snow and anything pink or light never looks right on me. Makes me look a little sick. :\ I'm actually not a fan of NYX Chaos, out of all the reds, it's my least favourite of the NYX lipsticks and I have almost all of them, lol.
The problem with it, I think, is because it has quite a distinct blue base making it more pinkish which can dullen the look of your complexion. Have a look at your current lipsticks, if you have more warm pinks than cool pinks then you might find a warm red like NYX's Electra or Eros (which isn't too bright and in your face like Chaos can be) more appropriate. Currently I'm loving Snow White, but it's a much deeper red.
My go to red? Revlon Super Lustrous in Mulled Wine. Give this one a go. It's such a classic sort of 1950's Hollywood red without being too bright.
By SwordInStone Comments: 192, member since Thu Aug 11, 2011
On Sun Jun 22, 2014 07:09 PM
Put on lip balm, then press the lipstick on just a little. That way it won't smear so easily, and it might look like Lipstick Queen's Medieval.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 05:16 AM
EEE! I totally skipped the part where I tell you what to do with the bad shade!

Well what I do is take it all out of the tube and put it in either a glass or small bowl and put that bowl in a pot of water and bring to boil. Alternately you can just put the lipstick on a spoon and hover it over a candle flame. Make sure you have a little tin or a few little tins to pour the molten lipstick into. Just buy a cheap pill box thingy - they work best. Pour your lipstick in and now you can do some fun stuff - you can turn it into a sheer lip balm by added some melted coconut oil. You can also make a new colour by adding some of your other lipstick shades (might want to buy new lipstick for that). But experiment around - use up all 7 boxes and make a whole bunch of shades! You don't have to use lipstick, you can use loose mineral eyeshadows (check if they're lip safe!). I bet you could get a really nice violet shade if you added blue pigment. Orangey lipsticks would really warm up the colours and darker more vampy colours would darken it.
This is probably a blessing in disguise because you now have the chance to make a whole bunch of colours just from the one lipstick and a little bit of a few others. If you are interested in where to get pigments for cheap, Shiro and Fyrinnae I've had good experiences with.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 06:22 PM
Gavrilushka, I don't really wear a lot of lipstick so I'm trying to experiment and find what I like. I'll look at the colors you suggested and probably try the Revlon one next. I've also found if pinks are too light it looks weird, so that nude/pale lip thing that was "cool" for a while never seemed to work for me. Just about anything that's a frosty seems bad too. I need a make-up artist friend!

I think the color is just too strong to be mixed on my lips, I tried dabbing it over chapstick and it was better over both clear and orange. I applied a little over a mahogany lipstick I got for Halloween one year and haven't touched since and that was also better. It's still bold without making me look like a clown. So I will have to try the pill box trick and see what I come up with. This will be a great opportunity to purge my collection of unused things. If I don't like my creations, I'm not really out anything and if I come up with something good I can take it to a store to find a comparable product. This seems like a win-win situation! Thanks for the suggestion!

ReplySendWatch