Forum: Irish / Irish

Why do people NOT stay in certain dance classes/schools?
By NoraStewart
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:32 AM

I am curious to know what keeps people going to their certain class, and what specifically makes people leave (if at all)?

I don't need names of schools or places, just would value your insight about what made the environment better for dancing and those that don't.

thanking you
Nora

10 Replies to Why do people NOT stay in certain dance classes/schools?

re: Why do people NOT stay in certain dance classes/schools?
By PlancstaiPremium member
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 05:32 AM
Clash of personalities or work ethic are two reasons I would say people leave certain classes. A lot of people just want to do the dancing for fun and although they would like to be a winner they are more interested in having fun, friends and a life. Cost is another issue in a lot of schools as parents these days are waking up to the fact that to be a top winning dancer not only takes commitment but financial resources that are beyond many families.
By cuteirishdancer
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 09:22 AM
These are all reasons that I've personally heard from others for leaving a school---all depending on what the dancer/parent wants/expects: like lack of focus a school has on Champs/Majors, quality of steps, feeling like they are not receiving individual attention (via personalized steps that show off strengths, overall input or correction), the amount of experience/qualifications the teachers have, availability of teachers for privates, actual amount of studio class time, and even an overall family-type atmosphere of a school (activities outside of dancing). I think it depends on what each specific student/parent wants, but if it's winning-driven,---one of the main keys is the students' own willingness to also sacrifice hours to practice and perfect whatever they are learning at HOME on their OWN time, no matter which school they are at. This can be a very heated topic!
By Realtreble
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 09:56 AM
Not every transfer is 100% dance-related. My dd has transferred twice. The first time, we had 2 reasons for changing schools: the TC personnel at her first school was undergoing big (and not immediately for the better) changes. At the same time, a personal issue required I be within 10 minutes of another wonderful school. If both situations hadn't happened simultaneously, dd most likely would not have transferred. Her second transfer was caused by a 350 mile relocation, so it wasn't related to any disappointment in her school or her dancing.

While there can be genuine reasons to leave a school, anyone who transfers thinking a new school won't have any problems or irritating issues is being very unrealistic.
re: Why do people NOT stay in certain dance classes/schools? (karma: 1)
By KnotworkMolltPremium member
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:33 AM
Edited by KnotworkMollt (108874) on 2014-06-24 10:36:13 Repetition
We try to talk to all the dancers and families who leave our school to determine why they didn't continue. The biggest factor is a mismatch between expectation and reality. The dancing may be more physically demanding than they'd thought or their progress may be slower than they thought. Some simply don't have the talent, or interest in investing the time, effort and money that they discover they'll need.

The social aspect of dance classes is more important than many people acknowledge, and if the dancers don't find friends or feel that they don't fit in with their group, we're likely to lose them whatever their talent or commitment to the dancing itself.

Potential Irish dancers tend to be multitalented and often we lose very promising dancers because of conflicts with other activities that have a stronger pull.

Our school is not focused on competition; approximately 70 of our 150 dancers have ever competed (although we had 3 dancers at Worlds this year and will have 7 at the North Americans next month.) 106 of them were in our Really Big Show, Spirit of Ireland this year, to put it in perspective. We perform in more than 70 shows every year, half of them in March. Offering performance opportunities throughout the year helps keep dancers who are interested in sharing their skills motivated. We have a large and active adult program and really benefit from that.

We haven't had any Champs transfer since we lost all our younger Champs in a group after Oireachtas five years ago. That was a blow and signaled that we needed major improvements to our Champ program. Champ transfers are a special case of the difference between expectation and reality, and they're something that happens to a lot of schools. Sometimes, the dances who transfer find the success they're looking for in a new school, and sometimes it doesn't work out.
By criosamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 06:45 PM
if I hadn't moved out of state (thus "forcing" a switch), my main reasons for wanting to switch schools was lack of performance opportunities and ceili team (and also the school's attitude towards adult dancers). (which is why a handful of my friends switched. I hemmed and hawed about following them for close to a year) ... ultimately, though, the reason I didn't switch because I liked my teacher and class, and I was a bit worried about how the other school would affect my solo dancing

I've also taken long breaks from dance, in part due to what days/times class was scheduled and/or how over-committed my schedule was.

in the four years since I last took proper lessons, there've been 4-5 new schools that opened up, and I considered trying a new school. cost, day/time of class, and location were all major factors. location almost one out, but I ended up back at my previous school because of the Oireachtas ceili opportunity. (I have former classmates at all of the schools here, so picking based on where they dance/teach isn't the easiest of options)
By dancemomtoo
On Wed Jul 02, 2014 07:06 AM
lack of feedback, teachers never attended comps-even those in their won back yard right before a major, poor work ethic in class
By feismum
On Fri Jul 04, 2014 02:33 PM
We've moved school twice. First time was because I was being bullied by another parent. My DD was only 8 so it was purely my decision. Now, 8 years later we have moved again. My DD took a break to complete her exams. When she decided she wanted to go back, she felt a fresh school would be best. Suited me as her new school is closer and I have so much going on at the moment, that I was happy to go.
By TuniePremium member
On Sat Jul 05, 2014 06:49 AM
The main reason I left my first teacher was because she used a lot of put downs and yelling. I can only assume it was an attempt at motivation, but I didn't respond well to it. I was very unhappy and stopped progressing. There are other reasons, but that was the main one.

My second teacher was much more calm and positive. I thrived under her instruction. She moved out of state and was forced to close her school. I would still be with her if it weren't for that.
By fouleafmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jul 13, 2014 03:13 PM
I've had to deal with this a couple of times unfortunately and I just had to do this again. My first real transfer turned out to be a combination of factors, as many others have said before me.

I stayed with my first school from middle school until I left for college halfway across the country.

My senior year of college, I was still several thousand miles from home, but I couldn't stand not dancing anymore and I finally had a car, so I signed up with the only school close by. It was a terrible choice. Forget personalized attention lacking, in the six months that I stayed, she never even saw me dance through any of the steps she taught me and I didn't learn a single complete dance. After six months, I realized that the only time she'd seen me dance through a set of steps was my audition for her to pick my class level. So I stopped going.

I moved another thousand miles away from home to a new place for graduate school. After finishing my degree, I couldn't stand not dancing anymore. I was working about half an hour from a well-known dance school, so I started dancing with them as an adult. I loved my classmates and TAs but the school culture is a little secretive and restrictive. The primary opinion amongst the core teaching staff is that, after age 18, you're incapable of dancing competitively in the higher levels. So, we were not allowed to drop into & overs, even the ex-championship dancers were kept in the adult prizewinner category with no hope for advancement. It felt hopeless once I moved my final main dance into Prizewinner. There was nowhere to go competitively except to hope that we could eventually convince these people who never actually watch us dance that we can do it. Then, I got a new job about an hour and a half each way from my old studio. Without that push, I never would have left. The women that I danced with are amazing people and they held me there. However, the two to three hours a day driving time really pushed me over the edge. I've just transferred to a school that is 15 minutes from my work and 20 minutes from home and I have high hopes. The truth is, I bet the TCRG and ADCRG in charge of my old school don't know my name or face and won't even know I'm gone.
By IrishMom1978
On Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:23 AM
Just stumbled across this thread and interesting to read all the replies that most people have left through personal reasons and not bad feeling with the school, which is fantastic, we are mid thought about changing my daughters school, she is 1 of 5 children and the only one who dances, the school she is with at the minute is amazing so good, but the older she's getting and the more she's progressing the need for extra classes if she wants to keep up with her pals is definitely something we need to look at, however with 4 other children and class being nearly an hour away something has to give, I am thinking of letting her attend our local dance school in town which would take a major amount of pressure off myself and give me more time to spend with the other children. But I know she will really miss the friends she has made and the relationship she has built with her current teacher, I don't know what the best thing is to do, my husband just thinks I'm a crazy dance mom and one school is the same as the next but it's sooo hard when you know you've got a great teacher to go to a school that you don't know how she will get on at could be an awful decision or best decision ever. anyone ever experience this?

ReplySendWatch