Forum: Competitions

Competing with Ballet
By dancerxiv
On Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:41 AM

Sorry if this has been posted before, but quick question: I have a dance company that competes with all types of dance, so usually we attend dance competitions that are all-around dance (such as Starpower and the like) however, this year I have two dancers who are doing ballet (one ballet and one pointe actually) solos for comp and I'm trying to figure out the best route to go... I know that many competitions judge on originality of choreography, so I'm wondering if I can take a ballet variation from an established ballet (such as the Esmeralda variation) or if that would be frowned upon and original choreography preferred. I wasn't sure if anyone had any experience with competing one way or the other. Thanks!

3 Replies to Competing with Ballet

re: Competing with Ballet
By SharonDet
On Fri Jun 27, 2014 01:29 PM
Edited by SharonDet (250372) on 2014-06-27 13:32:18 typos
In my experience, good ballet dances (regardless if the choreo is the original, ie Petipa, or choreographed by the teacher),do well. Often, comps and judges are thrilled to see well executed ballet in a sea of contemporary, lyrical and jazz!
By kr_WDance
On Sat Jun 28, 2014 05:18 PM
I agree...we have brought both original variations and teacher choreography to competitions. Ballet usually scores really well because it is so refreshing for the judges to see after 200 lyrical numbers.
By artsinmovement
On Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:25 AM
I agree with both of the above posts. As long as the technique is well executed, the number will do well. I have had both variations and original choreography in competitions that have done well as it does stand out from the contemporary and jazz numbers.

ReplySendWatch