Forum: Arts / Fashion

Fashion
What to wear to a wedding
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:13 AM

This is a 6:00 evening wedding in July. It is located in a country club.

I bought these two dresses and necklaces from White House Black Market. They both flatter me very well, and they are both comfortable.

Is black too dark for a wedding? This one flatter me a bit more but the blue flatters my skintone.

5 Replies to What to wear to a wedding

re: What to wear to a wedding
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 440, member since Thu Apr 01, 2010
On Fri Jun 27, 2014 01:01 PM
As always, I can only speak for Swedish etiquette, but here, traditionally one does not wear black (or white for that matter) at a wedding. Black being a mourning/funeral color and white being the bride's color.

But honestly, I think in real life no one will remark if you wear a nice black dress, though I would combine it with colorful accessories. :)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri Jun 27, 2014 03:43 PM
The navy dress/necklace combo looks fresher, more youthful.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:22 PM
In my opinion the blue dress looks good for 6PM in a country club. Saaammie mentioned that traditionally neither black nor white are worn at a wedding in Sweden. And that is also true in the US. (Except for white on the bride, of course, which is why nobody else wears it.) In my opinion, the navy blue looks too close to black. However, I went to one wedding reception held around 5:30 PM on a summer day in a big hotel/restaurant mezzanine area, and everyone but me wore something very slinky and black! So it really depends on the crowd.

Also -- how conservative are they? Although the blue is slightly more party-ish (and this is a country club, not a church, so that may be a good thing) if they are very conservative you could dress it down a bit with a white shawl or wrap.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:40 PM
Both are fine. Choose the one that compliments your skin tone the best.
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Sun Jul 06, 2014 09:22 AM
I would wear the first one, I think the second one is too dark for a wedding.

ReplySendWatch