Forum: Adults / Weddings

Weddings
How much cash to give?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:17 PM

I am going to a wedding for my second cousin soon. I have already spoken with her, and I told her that I would give her cash instead of something off the registers. ( we went out to lunch to discuss it, and she said while either one is fine, between the two of us, she prefers cash. She was very polite about this).

My bf and I am going, it is held at a country club and dinner/drinks will be served. ( I don't drink, but my BF does) I am thinking of giving $100 each, for a total of $200 from the both of us.

Is this an ok amount?

10 Replies to How much cash to give?

re: How much cash to give?
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sat Jul 05, 2014 01:12 PM
I usually try to estimate the "cost per plate" and cover at least that.

I think $200.oo is fine. Generous, in fact, given your age.

I hope you have a really nice time.

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By GoBANANAS Comments: 363, member since Fri Jul 07, 2006
On Sat Jul 05, 2014 03:19 PM
Where I'm from, $200 would be considered a lot, but virtually everyone I know is pretty staunchly middle class. There's nothing wrong with being generous, but for me, $200 would be disproportionate compared to what I know other guests would be giving, and I personally try to stick with the norm.

I would look at the registries to compare how how far your cash would go if they were to go and use it on those items. If they've registered at places like Target or Kohl's, that $200 could get them A LOT of smaller stuff or cover at least half the cost of a big ticket item like a good vacuum or a KitchenAid mixer. In that case, I would probably reduce it down to about $100, to be honest. If they registered at places like Williams Sonoma or Crate & Barrel, though, the $200 would get them more along the lines of two small/medium items, like a skillet and a cutting board. Maybe you could look and see what you would have liked to have gotten them off the registries to figure out how much you would have spent and then round the cash amount up to the nearest $50 or $100?

That's just what I would do. :)
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Jul 05, 2014 05:09 PM
They registered a Macys and they either have $800 high prized items or like $50 cheap hand towels. It looks like everyone already have bought the inbetween stuff.

Where I am from, people graduating high school get $50- $100 ( from family members) so I thought $200 would be the right amount for a wedding for someone my age.( the older family members are giving like $500 to the couple, but I just graduated college and I don't have extra funds) I am also not very close to this family member.

I would say the mix of guests are going to be everyone from lower class-upper class. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of wealth in our family. Some are super rich with 3 vacation houses, and others live right above the poverty line.

I think I can bring $200 with me, and also an extra $100 just incase the food/drinks look like it costs a lot.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Sun Jul 06, 2014 09:43 AM
$200 is fine if it's the two of you and you're not close.

In my hood, a typical monetary gift from an older established couple who considers the bride/groom to be a good family friend is around $500. Obviously that ranges. Just a little comparison.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Mon Jul 07, 2014 03:58 PM
We received mostly money for our wedding, and we requested no gifts but if they wanted to donate to our honeymoon fund, whatever they could afford would be appropriate. We got anything from $20 to $300. I'd never dream of asking someone to buy me an $800 item, but maybe things are different here? The standard amount we got (and give) is $50 per person.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Mon Jul 07, 2014 04:17 PM
Where I live, $200/couple is appropriate and not unreasonably extravagant or looked on as cheap.

The covering the cost of the plate thing isn't something you should worry about. Just give what you want and can do comfortably.
By GoBANANAS Comments: 363, member since Fri Jul 07, 2006
On Mon Jul 07, 2014 08:01 PM
Edited by GoBANANAS (162508) on 2014-07-07 20:05:01 Added
I'm actually really surprised that $200 for someone you aren't very close to isn't considered overly generous, to be honest. I know that if I spent that much on every couple's wedding, I would be broke in no time lol. It seems like I'm always giving gifts these days. That's another reason I budget. I wouldn't want to spend that much on one person and not be able to afford to do it again for someone else. If I keep it to $50 to $100 for everyone, I'll pretty much always be able to swing it. My wedding is coming up next year and I'll be floored if I get that much, especially from a younger cousin.

I had also never heard of the idea of covering the cost of the plate.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Wed Jul 30, 2014 07:30 PM
I usually go between $50-100 depending how close I am to the person. I did give $200 to my cousin who I was very close to plus I was also involved in the wedding and was helping with things.

I got mostly a range of $50-100 and a close friend gave $300 which I thought was HUGE. most people around here are middle class. Some lower middle.
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 01:03 AM
This is why I always buy something (off the register where possible, or not if there isn't one) because I don't feel that I can put a price on my friendship.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 07:40 PM
We give $100 for people we're close to, and $50 to people we're not as close to, but we're a single income family in NZ, so a bit of a different situation. I'm sure $200 will be fine.

ReplySendWatch