Forum: Highland / Highland - Jig

Highland - Jig
Jig outfit - apron query
By steps11 Comments: 72, member since Fri Jan 21, 2011
On Sun Jul 06, 2014 04:28 AM

We are planning a new jig outfit soon but we have one query. DD would like a red dress with a green cummerband but we are wondering if the apron can have a green band at the top with green ties to tie in a bow at the back? So it would be just like a standard white apron fastening in a bow at the back but the ties/bow in green instead of white. We have only seen the cummerbands in green or red as a band round the waist with no bow at the back!
Can anyone help with our question please?
Thank you.

12 Replies to Jig outfit - apron query

re: Jig outfit - apron query
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Sun Jul 06, 2014 07:34 AM
I have seen cummerbunds with an attached apron, so the apron tie knot and bow aren't uncomfortably bunched under the cummerbund.

In my opinion, a "white apron" means the whole thing thing is white, but there are som many variations in jigs, I wouldn't like to say yay or nay.
By booverly Comments: 1980, member since Fri Jul 02, 2004
On Sun Jul 06, 2014 07:38 AM
While the jig guidelines can be confusing, one thing they are clear on is the apron. It must be white.

Apron: A small white apron will work with any of the options described above. A small shamrock will be permitted.

Comment #10192054 deleted
Removed by Sumayah (204191) on 2014-07-14 09:15:38 double post

On Mon Jul 07, 2014 06:12 AM
Thank you for your replies. Yes the apron attached to the cummerband is our other option as we dont want a bulky bow underneath at the back. We do want a white apron but want to know if it can have a green band at the top and the green continuing along the ties for it to tie in a green bow at the back. It will therefore look like a green cummerband at the front! Just want to know if the green bow at the back is acceptable and within dress code regulations?
Thanks.
By Hannahmom Comments: 1090, member since Sat Apr 01, 2006
On Mon Jul 07, 2014 02:08 PM
I know exactly what you mean! I actually saw what you're talking about at one of the last competitions. I noticed it because it was different, it looked fine, it didn't look out of place or anything like that. Post a picture of it, if you decide to do the apron, cummerbund like that!
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Mon Jul 14, 2014 06:32 PM
So basically you would have the apron without a waistband or ties, instead attached under the cummerbund, which would do up in the back, correct? As long as it looks like a white apron and a green cummerbund, sounds good! Can't wait to see the finished project :)
By amygrace Comments: 146, member since Sat Jun 27, 2009
On Tue Jul 15, 2014 02:55 AM
My daughter wanted a cummerbund with her apron but I think its bulky having the apron ties under a cummerbund. We bought our apron from Toe & Heel (also known as Ferlie Feet), they do the cummerbund with the apron attached, far neater without the apron ties, just has Velcro fastening instead
By hangingon Comments: 43, member since Sun May 16, 2010
On Tue Jul 15, 2014 06:17 AM
My DD's red cumberbund has two button holes on the back (one on each side) that we put the apron ties through and then tie the apron. It keeps the bulk of the knot, etc. on the outside of the cumberbund. It works really well for us.
On Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the interesting replies but I am hoping there may be a judge or someone 'in the know' out there who can answer my original query!
We really would like to know if it is ok to have a green tie + bow to fasten the (white) apron? I am very tempted to go ahead and get one made, after all it can easily be changed to all white afterwards if it is a problem!
My older DD has the apron attached to a cummerband, which is secured with a very neat fastener (no bow) at the back but her sister wants to be different!!
Thank you :)
By amygrace Comments: 146, member since Sat Jun 27, 2009
On Wed Jul 16, 2014 03:44 AM
I'd say that it would only be white ties, the regulation says white apron and may be adorned with shamrock so I wouldn't think that green ties or waistband would be allowed
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:16 PM
Agreed. I don't think the green waistband & bow on the apron would be allowed, as the dress code states, "Apron: A small white apron will work with any of the options described above. A small shamrock will be permitted." As we are often reminded by SOBHD, just because something is not overtly prohibited within the dress code does not mean it is permissible. I am a teacher, not a judge, but I would definitely advise my dancers & dance parents against this.
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Sun Aug 03, 2014 06:25 PM
I am pretty sure it wouldn't be allowed. I know a while back we were discussing whether a colored ribbon or stitching would be allowed on the apron (especially for those wearing it with the white dress, because the apron blends right in with the skirt) and I think someone had asked and learned that the answer was no, the apron must be all white. I assume this would apply to the ties as well.

Mind you, you can always try it-- I've seen some costumes that I'm pretty sure violate the rules, and I assume it doesn't actually hurt the person's placing (colored ribbon on the apron, ruffly undies, etc.)

What does your teacher say?

ReplySendWatch