Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

I think my feet grew! What do I do???
By balletmac
On Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:38 PM
Edited by balletmac (264444) on 2014-07-08 23:39:45

About a month ago, I bought 3 pairs of pointe shoes for my summer intensive, which is four weeks long. I sewed one and have been using them for the past month. The last week however, my studio took a break after our year-end show. When I returned, I took an entire hour and a half class en pointe and noticed they felt smaller then before. My toes kind of curled under while standing on flat and it was very painful. Today, I tried on the two un-sewed pairs of shoes, and they also felt too small. (toes curling, pressure on big toe) Is it weird that my feet grew at 16? And what should I do about my shoes? I leave for my summer intensive on Saturday and what if there's no time to get a bigger size?

Please help! All advice is appreciated. :)

(PS I wear Russian Pointes, if that helps)

6 Replies to I think my feet grew! What do I do???

re: I think my feet grew! What do I do???
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 01:31 AM
Your bones don't stop growing until you are around 25 years of age, so, no, it's not weird. Get fitted for something as fast as you can. Do not try to dance on shoes that are too small. You will damage your feet.
By CarabosseKPremium member
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 06:37 AM
Not weird at all. Feet can also get wider at any age. Hopefully you're able to return the two unsewn pairs.
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 06:53 AM
Yes don't dance on those shoes!
It would be better to maybe miss a class to get new shoes than to start the summer intensive without shoes or with to small ones.
By balletmac
On Thu Jul 10, 2014 01:23 AM
Thanks you guys! I'm going to try and get fitted once I get there. I asked one of my teachers today and she told me to tough it out. Clearly that wasn't the best advice (She's not the brightest color in the box) ... Thanks!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 10, 2014 09:52 AM
Get new shoes for sure. Maybe sell the ones you haven't sewn yet or use them for a craft. I know it sucks to buy them and it turns out that they are not going to work.
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:43 AM
eBay, Amazon or here - sell them. Even if you get half price, it's better than nothing.

ReplySendWatch