Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
How to properly turn down a job?
By Sumayah Comments: 6878, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 07:56 AM

So long story short, the initial interview I went on didn't hire me. A different interview I went on does. But after consideration, it's not a good fit for me. But I do want to work for this company, just not in this position. How do I turn down the job offer without burning bridges?

The problem is they need full availability. Shifts would be standard 40 hour work weeks doing call center helpline stuff from home *but* the shift times may change as needed but I would need to be available 8am-11pm Mon-Sat. That means I would effectively have to give up teaching snd I'm not yet willing to make the trade off. I thought I was. I'm not. So what should I say that leaves the door open for future opportunities with this company, just not in this position?

1 Replies to How to properly turn down a job?

re: How to properly turn down a job? (karma: 3)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6819, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 08:49 AM
Dear Human Resource Person,

Thank you for the opportunity to join your work force. I greatly admire your company and being part of your team would be a dream come true for me.

Unfortunately, due to my commitment to my long time employers and students at The Dance Center (or whatever) I am unable to commit to the "full availability" requirement of the position you have available at this time. It is with deep regret that I must decline your generous offer.

If another position becomes available in the future I would be honored to be considered. Please keep my application on file and feel free to call me at any time if there is a possibility of a full time position that would allow me to join your team while remaining loyal to my long term part time commitment to The Dance Center.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Sincerely,

The Very Best Person you could hire for any job, but not on dancing evenings.
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch