Forum: Irish / Irish

How many other people take long drives to dance class?
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 09:50 AM

I posted in the dressmakers board about getting my dress updated even though I will be joining a non-competitive school.

The thing is, competitive dancing has always been my motivation in dance and kept me going, but I live right in the middle of the two nearest dance schools- each 2 1/2 hours away.

I love to dance, but I can never fully enjoy it when I've done non-competitive classes in the past. How many people here, or how many people do you know, take long trips to dance, and is 2 1/2 hours one way an unreachable goal for a college student? The class I would be taking would be Sunday afternoons.

I want more than anything to make this work, but I am not entirely sure how common it is for people to take long drives to dance class.

7 Replies to How many other people take long drives to dance class?

re: How many other people take long drives to dance class?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 09:57 AM
Will it still be 2.5 hours on a Sunday when there's little traffic? A weekday/rush-hour 2.5 journey could be a lot less on Sunday.

I haven't travelled far for a competitive class, but when working towards for my TC I did travel 2 hours or so down to London every Sunday morning for a ceili prep class. Granted that lasted about six months and it wasn't every weekend, but it didn't bother me so much especially as I usually had company in the car.

Sometimes I was also able to drive down to a friend's house halfway, and we'd complete the journey together on Sunday morning. It meant a bit more of a lie in, but of course the drive home was still the full two hours. Perhaps once you've met people at the new class, there'll be an option to break the journey and stay over, and you might get an additional practice in as well that way.

If someone else can drive you, and you can physically stomach it (I can't!) you can do some college work in the car, too.

That's just my personal perspective anyway - I know that people out there do drive 2, 3, 4 hours each way and make it work (though I guess this is parents driving kids, and the parents nap or do the shopping while the kids are at class).
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:28 AM
Thank you! It's a drive to the state capitol, and while I know half of the drive will be smooth sailing, the drive into the capitol itself may be a bit more congested, but being a Sunday afternoon I'm not expecting it to be too bad. I was just gauging the 2 1/2 hours from google maps, so it could be less.

A friend of mine here in town suggested I post on the ride-share facebook page for people in my college who may be looking for a ride back to campus from the capitol on a Sunday evening. Then at least sometimes I'll have someone in the car with me on the way back. If not, silent drives don't bother me too much. Also, my Monday classes don't start until 11am so if I do have friends nearby that are willing for me to crash, I won't have to be up so early =)

I will also add that I am used to a 3 1/2 hour trip back to my parents, though it's not once a week which is why I wanted to ask how plausible it is for people to travel so far each week.
By lorna_doonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:42 AM
I've since retired from solo dancing/competition, but during 2005-2007, my mom drove me and my 3 sisters 1 1/2 hours into our capitol once a week for class. 2008-2010, I drove myself after we switched schools 2 hours one way every week for class. Traffic sometimes added anywhere from 30-45 min. We live 1 1/2 hours west of Washington DC and each time we went to class we drove into larger cities than the one we live in.
Because dance is a passion of mine, it was well worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I'm teaching now and studying for my TC, so I don't have time to.

I agree with trying to find a ride there - you never know. Especially id you live somewhere where the closest school is that far away, there's a good chance there may be another dancer who lives near you.
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 09:55 PM
I drive almost two hours. It's hard but if you're motivated and budget the time and money it's doable.
By PlancstaiPremium member
On Sat Jul 12, 2014 06:08 AM
If you are looking for more motivation why dont you start a satellite branch of the school you will be joining (if your new school supports this idea). It will ensure that you are doing some work outside class times and may also give you a bit of extra finance to keep going to your dance classes.
re: How many other people take long drives to dance class? (karma: 1)
By ForReel
On Sat Jul 19, 2014 03:26 AM
I drive my daughter 2 1/2 hours to class on Saturdays because the teacher is in different cities each day and we want to go more than once per week. Plus the weekends are the best time to drive a distance during the school year because I want to avoid mid-week traffic and getting home late from the closer location ...which takes 1 1/2 hours one way with traffic...sometimes more with accidents and whatnot. We love not having traffic on the weekend. Also not being there late at night. More time for homework. We've learned lots of great stops along the way. Try it and if it works for you, do it. If dancing there makes you happy, go the distance. If you get exhausted and it stops working for you, find another plan. We re-evaluate each term. We decided to take the summer off and go to a closer location in traffic because without school and homework we can go earlier or stay later if we want to. But I suspect we'll be driving the distance again come September.
By twinkletoes2021
On Tue Jul 22, 2014 06:37 PM
To get to our oireachtas teams class it is an hour drive in good traffic. My friend and i carpool so we switch off on who drives each week. Is there maybe any one wanting to carpool with you?

ReplySendWatch