Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

How long should I stretch for?
By micmac1313
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 05:48 PM

Hi all! I'm a fairly young adult dancer (only 19), and I would really like to increase my flexibility for my dancing. I am pretty flexible already, and I stretch every day for about 10 minutes, but I want to be able to kick higher and also make my turnout and leaps look better. How many times a day should I stretch, and for how long? Thanks in advance!:)

2 Replies to How long should I stretch for?

re: How long should I stretch for?
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 05:59 PM
Edited by Hop_123 (173279) on 2014-07-09 19:29:56
Most helpful thing to get lasting changes in soft tissue length is to hold the stretch for 60-90 seconds at a time. Don't bounce, just gently pull. You don't have to do it multiple times a day.
re: How long should I stretch for?
By Lunamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 10, 2014 09:41 AM
I agree with Hop-123 that you need to hold the stretches longer and that is what will increase flexibility over time. I would do a warm up to get my muscles warm like jumping jacks or skip23s for a minute or so and then start some easy stretches. Don't push yourself too much too fast or you will pull your muscle and that hurts. Slowly ease into them and then start pushing a little further each time.

Hold each stretch for a minute or longer and also do different stretches that will loosen up your hips and quads as well as your hamstrings to increase flexibility.

ReplySendWatch