Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Is it crazy to drive 2 hours to practice?
By diversedancer
On Thu Jul 17, 2014 05:55 AM

Hello!

I have a predicament.

I'm interviewing next week for a job two hours away in from my dance studio. I love my studio and teachers, and think it's a great fit for me and my goals. I've checked out Irish dance schools online in the Toledo area where my interview is taking place, but nothing seems to really impress me. I want to have a successful interview, but I keep getting really sad knowing I may have to stop going to my dance school. If I get the job, should I make the 2-hour trip once a week to my 3-hr class? I also take private lessons once every other week for 30 minutes...I'm not sure if I could have a private right before practice on Mondays, and it's a school night. I'd be getting back to Toledo around midnight.

Suggestions? Does anyone know of somewhere closer to Toledo that's a great school with adult classes? I may want to drop down some day too for a shot at the majors. Maybe it's crazy, but I wonder if my hobby should go before my career. But then, maybe I'd love the new job and I'd have renewed faith in what I do ... if I get it anyway!

No matter what though, I want to competitively Irish dance as long as I can :)

6 Replies to Is it crazy to drive 2 hours to practice?

re: Is it crazy to drive 2 hours to practice?
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:13 AM
I drive about an hour and 45 minutes to class. It sucks, but my academy really fits me. I find it helps to NOT think about "should I be doing this" "am I too old and need to get over this hobby" etc, just think about how much I enjoy it and my friends. If you can carve out the time and the money to travel I think it works out ok. It definitely makes you more committed. Sometimes I do try to schedule multiple classes or a class and a private on the same day. Or I stay the night the friends and do back to back days. You might ask your TC if he/she would consider doing privates via skype every other week instead of class or something like that.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)
Jen
By DayOver30member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jul 19, 2014 08:24 AM
Only you can decide how far is too far. I drive about an hour 2 times a week for 1.5 hr classes, so really, your situation isn't all that different in total drive and total class time, it's just all packed into one day. I haven't found any workout that's quite like Irish dance for me, and I enjoy Irish dancing, so I keep at it, despite the drive. Good luck on your job interview!
By AoifeQ
On Mon Jul 21, 2014 09:59 AM
We drive 3.5 hours to class, usually once a week. It can be 1am before we get home some days. If you really love your dance school and your teachers and you're prepared to put in the time then go for it. If you find its too tiring to travel that far then maybe thats the time to look for a school closer to work.
By cecescullymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:24 PM
I did it for a while before finding a school closer by; I had lived in NYC for six years, and have been doing a 2 hour commute each way to get there for three years…. For me it was hard because class was about an hour and a quarter, and I was getting home after midnight on a work night. But it's not crazy, if you love your class. I did, and I love my new class, too, now, thankfully! (Now I find that I GO to class more regularly; it was too easy to bow out knowing it would take four long tiring hours to get there and back. Now that it's fifteen minutes away, I find I have no excuse not to go … just something else to consider - will you make the trek regularly?)
By diversedancer
On Tue Aug 12, 2014 04:04 PM
Thanks for your responses JenBlackerby, DayOver30, AoifeQ, and cecescully!! I ended up not getting the job, which is sad, but I don't have to worry about driving 2 hours to dance. Maybe there's a new career in my current city that will fit me perfectly sometime down the road. At least I still have dance!

It's inspiring to know how much you all seem to care about dance, and that you're willing to drive long distances. I agree that if you find what makes you happy, keep it up despite difficulties if the positives outweigh the negatives :) Best of luck with your long drives!

-diversedancer
By monochrome
On Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 AM
I'm sorry you didn't get the job. I hope something wonderful comes up much closer to home!

I also drove an hour and a half each way to dance class, last year. I'd moved for a job but didn't want to give up class. It was worth it. (In retrospect I wish I'd stayed in my old city and commuted to the job, but that's a whole 'nother problem.)

ReplySendWatch