Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
Would I Be Penalized?
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4727, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Thu Jul 17, 2014 09:36 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Mods, feel free to move it if need be. This definitely has to do with employment.

I get social security and disabiity for epilepsy. I have been seizure-free for many years now. I've been looking into going for job-training for phlebotomy. I've wondered if I would be penalized by the medicaid and social security people while I'm in the training. I'm aware that I would lose the benefits when I get a job, but I've wondered if I would lose them while I'm in the training. If any of you on here who live in northwest Ohio in the U.S. would know about this, I would very much appreciate it if you could direct me to the necessary people to find out. I spoke with my case worker. She told me that she does not deal with that, and directed me to the social security office in the area where I live. I've called these people, and have got a recording which said, "If you know your party's extension number, dial it now.". I have no idea who my party is, so I certainly have no idea about my party's extension number.

Somebody please help me clear this up.

5 Replies to Would I Be Penalized?

re: Would I Be Penalized?
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Thu Jul 17, 2014 09:54 AM
when in doubt hit 0 for the operator?
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:48 AM
If all else fails, take a drive over the office and talk to someone in person.

Or a google search may help. "Will I lose SS/D benefits while in school?"
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Fri Jul 18, 2014 09:35 AM
Have you done a Google search? I just did. I see no mention of benefits being terminated due to a return to school. And it looks like there is a 9-month work trial period, where you can return to work after your schooling is completed, and can work while continuing to draw benefits for up to 9 months, while you determine whether you are able to continue working. But as others have said, you really need to find out for sure, so the best bet would be to show up at the closest Social Security office to meet with someone who can tell you definitively. I hope it all works out well for you.
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4727, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:50 AM
What are the odds? I just spoke on the phone this very moment with someone at the college who told me that my going to school would not affect my continuing to receive the benefits while I'm in the training :) . She said that in fact, the medicaid people would encourage my going to school. I'm so relieved about that. I'm looking forward to going to my orientation next Thursday :) . I feel somewhat nervous, but at the same time excited. The person whom I spoke to told me that the advisors at the college would help me fill out the application for student financial aid.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sun Jul 20, 2014 06:42 PM
Yeah I don't see why they would have a problem with it when it could mean that you won't to be on government benefits anymore. I think it's unemployment that you have to get permission from because I think they don't like paying people who are going to school and not looking for a full time job, but that's not the case for you.

ReplySendWatch