Forum: Competitions

Thinking of not allowing students to compete solos
By steppinsteph
On Fri Jul 18, 2014 09:02 AM

We have been competing for 20+ years. Within the last 5 years I have had trouble with soloists. First of all, I don't allow students to do solos until they are in the 8th grade. This is because a) I am the only choreographer and don't have time for lots of solos, and b) I had bad experiences with young kids who couldn't 'take' the personal critique of doing a solo. C) it gives the students something to look forward to and keeps their interest at just the age that it starts to wane.

As I said, older kids can do solos, but lately I have been reconsidering. These kids turn into divas, and I CAN'T STAND divas. They are competitive with each other to the point of being snarky and there has been LOTS of drama, especially this year. I have been accused of choreographing better material for Julia and running Sophia's choreography class 5 minutes longer than the other girls. (I did once, actually, but just because I wasn't paying attention to the clock). They said I should have spent 5 more minutes with the other girls. There were other complaints and it just isn't worth it. Does anyone compete, but not allow solos? And what are your thoughts?

4 Replies to Thinking of not allowing students to compete solos

re: Thinking of not allowing students to compete solos
By MissTalia
On Sat Jul 19, 2014 03:56 AM
First off, sometimes we get lost in what were doing and class may run over. It was a one time thing and everyone gets equal time. Second of all, given the issues you're having I would do this...have the students do duets and trios next year. It will encourage them to work TOGETHER instead of totally against each other. After all, they are all part of the same dance family and should want to excel, but also want their classmates to do well.
By dancer6742
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 01:51 PM
I know this isn't a problem with the dancers technique but at my studio all company students audition at the beginning of the season to be placed in comp pieces and if their score shows they are technically ready for a solo then they are offered one. Maybe you could do something similar but based off of their attitude. Once the girls are ready to work with the team and support other team members and you see that then you can offer them a solo. In my opinion dance (even competitions) should be fun and if the dancers can't have fun then maybe they do not get to have certain privileges that others who are in it for the fun get.
By miss_anna_dance
On Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:22 PM
Do they sign a contract? You could put in a clause that if a student or parent speaks negatively about the studio anywhere, including social media, that they are dismissed. Also put that a solo is a privledge and a negative attitude from the parent or teacher may result in the solo being pulled or being released from team or the studio all together,
By ug7catherine
On Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:33 PM
Edited by ug7catherine (246593) on 2014-08-21 12:34:25
I would put in your company contract that solos are are used for non-competition performance opportunities only and under your discretion if they can be ADDED TO competition then put rules and regulations to get their solo added to competitions.

ReplySendWatch