Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
I made butter today!
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:07 AM

My dad was in the hospital for 11 days. He is 90 and is having a swallowing problem but is healthy otherwise. Now he is in a nursing home up the street for therapy (he has a feeding tube for now) and we go visit him every day. God has so blessed my family but it's been a very stressful and trying time for us. The last time we went to the store I noticed butter never seems to be on sale anymore. I know the drought in CA isn't helping the situation. The natural butter is way to expensive to buy if you want to buy a whole lb. (it's only sold in half lb. packages) and I'd like to go a little natural so today I did something for me and made my own butter!

We did it in preschool but I wasn't there when they made it. The teachers showed me the butter and asked if I wanted to take it home! Are you kidding me, why wouldn't I, why wouldn't they? It was so good! I went to the store and bought some all natural Heavy Cream. I went on-line to see how to do it for sure, got a small jar because all the bigger jars were being used, poured in the cold cream and shook and shook and shook. My arms aren't tired yet but by tonight they may be killing me. Hey, my arms will get toned if I make enough! LOL It didn't take as long as I thought it would and I even did some jumping up and down while shaking so I am all exercised out right now. Oh my gosh, it tastes so amazing! I want to make more now that I did this and it wasn't as bad as I thought at first it would be. I have to figure out what to do with the buttermilk but I made butter! Wow!

7 Replies to I made butter today!

re: I made butter today!
On Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:12 AM
Forgot to mention that tonight's popcorn is going to have homemade butter on it. Yum! My mouth is watering right now! Okay, can you tell it doesn't take much to make me happy? LOL
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Tue Jul 22, 2014 09:53 PM
Firstly, I'm glad your dad is on the mend, and I hope his therapy goes well. :)

Secondly, I've accidentally made butter at home. I was using my big Kenwood mixer to whip cream for a dessert, and had it covered with a teatowel to reduce splashes. Because it was covered, I couldn't see what was going on, got distracted and checked it too late!
In hindsight, if I make butter again, I'll add salt/sugar (depending of course if I wanted sweet or savoury butter), because the taste of pure butter was a bit bland and nothingy for everyone who tried it.

(I think subliminally, I knew I was going to screw up. I'd bought extra cream to make the dessert, which I never normally do)
On Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:15 PM
Thank you for the kind words about my dad. He is doing better although today he seemed tired. There is not a lot for him to do or I should say that he wants to do except go to therapy. Some of it is food related and he can't eat food except through his tube. It is so hot and humid out so we want to take him outside. He doesn't seem to know what time of day it is because his roommate's side of the room has the window. I think he's bored.

Anyway, I got about 3 ways to make butter and saved them to my computer. I looked at all of them and one said to add salt, which I would have done anyway. I bought unsalted butter once and I hated it! It was so neat to think this is how our ancestors did it, but with a butter churn, because they didn't have supermarkets, and I'm doing the same thing. Now I don't plan on raising my own chickens and eating them but making butter is something I can do.

Thanks for your story about how you made butter. Would you believe my arms hurt a little today, more then they did the other day when I made it? Delayed pain reaction? LOL I have more cream so I will use it up. I will definitely do it again and now my 19 year old niece wants to do it. Hey, maybe if we all made butter there would be no more wars? Make butter, not wars! LOL
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:36 PM
Homemade butter is so yummy! :)
On Wed Jul 23, 2014 07:14 AM
I totally agree with it being yummy. I can't wait to do it again. For me I think buying the all natural heavy cream was the difference. Now I need to buy a cow, feed it naturally & not use antibiotics or hormones, and use that for my butter and milk! LOL When I move to the country someday. For now the cream I buy is all natural and yummy tasting. Now I need to find some recipes to use the buttermilk for. I know I can use it for fried chicken but it's to hot to fry chicken today. I'll check out our cooking encyclopedia under the B.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 03:05 AM
A few things... First of all, you're going to have a very hard time finding recipes for that buttermilk. The reason is that store-bought buttermilk is actually "cultured buttermilk" which is a completely different product. Cultured buttermilk is basically just runny sour cream. It has a completely different thickness and it's MUCH more acidic than true buttermilk. So you can't always find a recipe that calls for buttermilk and substitute your leftover liquid. But if you want to give it a try, you might want to add about 1 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar to each cup of the buttermilk to make it more acidic. This is especially important in baked goods.

Also, if you're not going to use the butter right away, you should wash it to remove the rest of the buttermilk. You can just do it under cold running water or you can do it in a bowl of ice water. You just kneed it like clay. This will make your homemade butter last as long as store-bought butter. Otherwise, it will spoil as fast as an open container of cream. After you wash it, you can add a bit of salt too, and that will make it last even longer.
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 07:00 AM
That's what I did, I washed it out in cold water and the butter lasted for about a week, which is when I used it all. I used the buttermilk in fried chicken and it was good. It's not the same as regular buttermilk, granted, but I hated to throw it out so I used it as is. I don't like buttermilk but I don't like to waste food either which is why i just used it as is.

Thanks for all the info Panic. I made more again and it was just as yummy!

ReplySendWatch