Forum: Welcome

New Member Here
By itsjustKay
On Sun Jul 20, 2014 01:29 PM

Hello,For about 6 months I have been watching this site and finally decided to join the party. I am rapidly approaching my 1 year teacher-versary (made up word but definitely excited). I currently teach beginning ballet and Jazz technique, also beginning/intermediate choreography in lyrical, jazz, contemporary, and spiritual dance. It's been a difficult transition from dance performer to dance instructor (especially since some of my students are only a few years younger than I) but I look forward to the growth that is to come as well as the wisdom and tips I will be able to gain and share with you all.

5 Replies to New Member Here

re: New Member Here (karma: 2)
By MissSharon73
On Sun Jul 20, 2014 07:17 PM
Welcome to the "family", it'sjustKay....

Jump on in, and continue to grow and learn with us!! I was only 6 years older than some of my students that I had my first year...Just set clear boundaries and your authority, and you will gain their respect for a lifetime. A lot of young teachers make the mistake of becoming their friend. You are their mentor, teacher and guide-Who just happens to be friendly :) Never let them think otherwise...LOL
re: New Member Here (karma: 1)
By SharonDet
On Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:47 PM
Welcome! Miss Sharon offered you outstanding advice. I wish someone had taught me that when I first started teaching as I too was a youngin when I started teaching!
re: New Member Here
By ChristinePremium member
On Mon Jul 21, 2014 07:30 AM
Welcome.

I hope you enjoy your time here on DDN. I just LOVE you enthusiasm. xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
re: New Member Here (karma: 1)
By hummingbird
On Mon Jul 21, 2014 09:13 AM
Hi and welcome to DDN!

Miss Sharon has given you some very good advice there.
re: New Member Here
By itsjustKay
On Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 AM
Miss Sharon,
This has DEFINITELY been the biggest struggle, considering some of my older dancers were once my "little sisters" in another program. We have gotten a little better with our roles in class but sometimes it gets hard not to revert back to treating them like teammates instead of students.

ReplySendWatch