Forum: Advice / Ask a Parent

Ask a Parent
dance and drama
By parentofdancer Comments: 4, member since Tue Jul 22, 2014
On Tue Jul 22, 2014 09:02 AM

I am new here. I am a mother of a dancer turned actress. I am torn. She began as a ballet dancer with a few other genres here and there. She has stayed with one studio until last year where we added a jazz class at a newer studio.(keeping ballet at the first) And now that she is in high school she has joined the drama club. I love both studios. Been with the first since the beginning. But due to multiple years of bad luck the first school has shrunk to 10 students. She is a very good teacher, nice lady and very good with the students. But I am getting weary of her pulling up and moving to new studios. Every year I fear is her last. I do not want to leave her studio because I want her to stay in business and thrive but we contribute at least 5 to 10 percent of her income. She is a very good teacher and I like her.

But I also like the new studio and like the exposure my daughter gets at recitals. Plus the hours are better at studio number two for drama club. The dance at the new studio is not as pretty at studio two but more dynamic (not meant as a slam but actually a complement. The first is pretty but not as dynamic). The second studio is more open about sharing students as well.

This year I plan to do both studios. I would like to move on because studio on because my daughter missed classes at the first studio during drama season. And at the second studio that will be less of a problem. But I just can not bring myself to do so. I really don't know what to do. My gut tells me what to do (to move on). But my heart and head is keeping me at the first studio. I need to get some advice on what to do.

Honestly Drama is becoming more important to her than dance...though dance is her life. But I want to be fair and make life less stressful. It is out in the open now and so I really need to know if anyone can relate. If so what did you do and what should I do?

4 Replies to dance and drama

re: dance and drama
On Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:29 AM
Correction. One dance company seven different locations in 4 years.
By hummingbird Comments: 10418, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Jul 22, 2014 01:26 PM
The problem with only having 10 students is any capable dancer is going to be a big fish in a very small pond. If your daughter wants to take either her dancing or her acting seriously then it will come as a big shock to her when she gets out into the real world.

Another thing to remember is you have no obligation to either studio, it's a business agreement, you pay the fees and the studio provides dance/acting tuition. Don't feel that you have to stay at any studio that isn't really suiting your needs.

You also have to look at what your daughter wants. If she's getting that much into her acting then a classical ballet career is going to be unlikely, she's probably going to benefit more from a more triple threat, or musical theatre approach to her dance training.

Which studio fits in with this approach to your daughters training, I suspect it's studio number two.
On Tue Jul 22, 2014 07:52 PM
thank you.
At this time we are transiting to the new one. One class at a time. Last year we did one none ballet class at the second studio. This year two none ballet classes. She has done all that she wants with Ballet. But I will stay one more year with a couple ballet classes. I do not want to see the first school fold. And I most certainly do not want to be the straw that breaks the camels back since my daughters original teacher has been really good to us. Is that a mistake? Time will tell. But now that it is out in the open I feel a little better. Plus a bonus at studio number two is her best friend is there and we can car pool. I did watch the ballet teacher at the new studio and I think he is beyond where she is today. He is far more dynamic and I think that would help in theater more so than the classical and pretty moves that her old teacher teaches.

I agree that I am not obligated to the first teacher. Though I do wonder how long she will last. And I do know that losing one or more students can end her business. I would feel horrible if she closed right after we leave. I think giving her a year to pick up business in the the new building might make me feel better. And hopefully by the time the transition is done she is in a healthy point. Did I mention that she has moved about seven times in the last four years. And this is the nicest spot so far since the one where we started off in. Long series of bad luck and impulsive trying to save the company. It has been a rollar coaster. Though we stuck with her through it all. About two years ago I started looking around for news studios or companies and found this one last year.

I do agree with your advice thanks again. Still it does not make the change any easier. Though I know that once complete I will feel a sense of relief.
On Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:33 AM
I am also considering staying Ballet only at studio one and theatric dance at the second. I do not want to pull 100% out. Again there is a history that my daughter has with the teacher. And I am much more worried about the moms or the other girls changing toward us.
I do think that if dance studios are really good they are okay with this arrangement. I do think that no studio can completely meet the needs of all the students. Especially those who are not only in dance. She still has my business. We had a long talk and we came to an understanding. And all is cool between us. The other concern is the way it came out on my part, how I handled it was not all that great. But now that the friends that I made with the parents will be tested. Those who understand or those who turn cold on me. And if the other moms or worse the girls change toward my daughter I will pull out. One of the moms and I went looking together for studios two years ago and she knew bits and pieces. But the other moms just found we are in two studios now. I know that none of them would follow and I know that all these moms are there until the end. But if I feel a chill from the moms or the girls that will scare me away.

ReplySendWatch