Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

A question about adult competitions
By KayWrites1989
On Tue Jul 22, 2014 08:48 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am attending my first feis next month!

I was curious to know if the adult categories were like the regular grades. For example if an adult beginner/advanced beginner wins 1st, 2nd, or 3rd they move to novice, or if you have to win first place to move. Also, if there is only one category for adults (like the one I'm attending) does the win count?

Not anticipating a huge victory my first time out, I just feel like some feisanna have so many categories for us and others have the one, and I was wondering what you have all experienced.

Thanks!

6 Replies to A question about adult competitions

re: A question about adult competitions
By criosamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:03 AM
I think you need 5 competitors for a competition to count (assuming NAFC rules). or has that changed since I last read a feis syllabus?
By KayWrites1989
On Wed Jul 23, 2014 05:54 AM
Edited by KayWrites1989 (266120) on 2014-07-23 05:55:48 Typo
I believe that the five competitor rule has not changed. I wasn't sure about the differentiation between adult beginner/ prizewinner competitions or just ones deemed "adult" but it sounds like if there are 5 or more people I'm in business.
By chevrechevalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 23, 2014 02:18 PM
My understanding is that the rules are the same for Adults. Of course, we can only go as high as Prizewinner. Then, you are really competing against yourself; to improve your placings and scores from your last feis. Different TCRGs impose other rules for their Adult dancers. Our instructor has different requirements. One of them being that you spend a full year in Adult Beginner, unless you surpass the more than 1 year of classes existing requirement.

Hope that helps. Which feis are you attending next month?
By KayWrites1989
On Wed Jul 23, 2014 02:52 PM
Thank you chevrecheval! Your answer was exactly what I was looking for. I think my teacher and I are going to be a bit subjective about things since I'm his only adult that competes.

I'm going to the Constitution State Feis in Middlebury Connecticut on August 31st, dancing my light jig, reel and hornpipe. I'm not sure of how the adult turnout will be, but I'm hoping I won't be the only one dancing! I've only been dancing since April so I'm hoping it will just be great experience.
By irishstep
On Wed Aug 06, 2014 09:43 PM
What school are you from. I take classes with the Griffth Academy in Wethersfield CT. Good luck and have fun.
By KayWrites1989
On Wed Aug 06, 2014 09:54 PM
I'm up in Torrington CT With McArdle. We're through the towns park and rec program; small but I love it! Thank you for the encouragement, I'll be happy just to get through everything without incident. :)

ReplySendWatch