Forum: Arts / Pets

Pets
How do I keep outdoor cats warm in the winter?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Jul 24, 2014 02:48 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-07-24 14:48:49

I have several feral cats around my property and I would like to provide shelter for them. I have called local animal shelters in the area, and they aren't able to accept anymore cats because of an overpopulation/budget issue in this county. In fact, all cats and kittens are free because they are trying to get rid of them. Even the no kill shelters aren't accepting new cats, and the kill shelters are putting them down each week. These feral cats probably have a higher chance of survival out in the wild, than being taken to an animal shelter just to be put to death.

I am not able to keep these hoards of cats indoors because I already have 3 pets and just don't have the room or money to care for anymore animals.

That being said, I feel really bad for all these feral cats and I want to be able to provide them some shelter in my yard. Would getting several dog houses and heating pillows work? We have pretty mild winters here ( usually 50-70 degrees) but it can sometimes drop down to 40's at night.

How do I make sure these kitties stay dry and warm? It is currently the summer so there are a lot of sales on dog houses right now.

5 Replies to How do I keep outdoor cats warm in the winter?

re: How do I keep outdoor cats warm in the winter?
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Thu Jul 24, 2014 03:49 PM
I think the dog house is a nice idea. I'd be weary about heated pillows since they would be unsupervised and could cause fires in your yard. Your winter is very mild. I know plenty of people who have had feral cats survive under their decks or porches in upstate NY where it snows every week so I think having the dog houses to keep them out of the elements is enough IMO.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Jul 24, 2014 04:01 PM
^ These pillows are actually reflective material, so the animals use their own body heat to warm up the pillow. It isn't electrical in anyway.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Jul 25, 2014 02:04 AM
I don't think you need to worry about providing heat because cats like to get into confined spaces which they heat up with their own body heat. Small boxed with only one entry/exit are fine. Remember, if they're feral adults, they've lived through several winters. They're wild animals, they'll be fine.
By DanceJAMPremium member Comments: 79, member since Fri Jun 04, 2010
On Fri Jul 25, 2014 05:18 AM
A friend of mine had this crazy cool dog who refused to ever come indoors, even in the middle of the coldest winter.

My frind found an old bean-bag style chair at a fleamarket that he put outside for the dog to sit on.

After a while the dog chewed a big whole in the side of it.

When it got really cold out, the dog would crawl inside of the bean bag chair and sit in the stuffing.

He was the happiest dog I have ever seen with his nose and ears sticking out of the seat !
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Fri Jul 25, 2014 07:27 AM
You can make inexpensive shelters pretty easy, I'm not sure how many cats you need shelters for, maybe they could share a couple shelters. Check out this website.

www.orphankittenrescue.com . . .

ReplySendWatch