Forum: General / Travel

Dance Studios that hire people from other countries?
By yorkshiregirl
On Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:04 PM

Hi guys wondered if anyone could help me. I am in the process of my dance teaching exams (BATD) and hopefully IDTA after that - when I have have my teaching qualification, I was wondering if I can apply to studios out in Florida? I am a british citizen - but have spent the past 10 years in between north US and UK working for companies like Disney Cruise Line, Camp America and some british companies.

I miss the states - my friends and the lifestyle. I am currently in England but want to go out and teach in Florida after I have passed exams. Can this be done? Thanks

2 Replies to Dance Studios that hire people from other countries?

re: Dance Studios that hire people from other countries?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 02:29 AM
I can't imagine that any studio would be willing to deal with your visa situation when they could just hire a US citizen. But assuming you can get a work permit, studios don't hire very many full-time teachers. And on those VERY rare occasions where they do have a full-time position, it goes to someone they know - not someone from another country who randomly fills out an application. Now, if you have a lot of professional experience, you might find work over here. But those qualifications aren't going to get you a job. If you want a studio job here, you need to convince a studio owner that it's worth a lot of bother to bring you over here. And that will be an uphill climb considering I know plenty of people here in Florida who have dance degrees, tons of qualifications AND professional experience - and they can't find full-time work as a dance teacher. They're teaching zumba or pilates. Or they're teaching part-time and working a normal job during the day. Sorry to be a downer. :/
re: Dance Studios that hire people from other countries?
By hummingbird
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 06:43 AM
You've also got to look at how many people those particular qualifications are useful to in that area, I don't know how many BATD or IDTA schools there are in the US. I know that the BATD has a strong presence in Canada in certain areas for it's general dance disciplines and is sought after in all areas for it's Highland branch exams.

ReplySendWatch