Forum: Adults / Weddings

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Weddings
Best and Worst Wedding Favors You've Received
By GoBANANAS Comments: 363, member since Fri Jul 07, 2006
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 01:50 PM

I finally started planning my wedding and I'm starting to think about the reception. This week we're trying to figure out wedding favors. So if you were a guest at a wedding, what kind of favor would you like to get? What have you gotten from past weddings you've attended? Has there been more than one favor like a physical object and a food?

Thanks!

31 Replies to Best and Worst Wedding Favors You've Received

re: Best and Worst Wedding Favors You've Received
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 03:39 PM
Edited by Megan (87282) on 2014-07-31 15:40:30
Honestly, I don't understand favours and I can truthfully say there were only two I've ever not ended up throwing out. One was a CD from a couple who were professional musicians (with tracks they cut of themselves performing their favourite love songs), the digital files of which still reside on my iPhone six years later, but that was a pretty unique situation. The other was a little airplane bottle of top-shelf alcohol and a shot glass which does get used at my house too...but even that I probably wouldn't have kept if they weren't very dear friends who come over for drinks, haha.

There's no way you can appeal to everyone and most things that are affordable are...kinda cheap. I think it's better to stick to consumables or dispense with them all together. I always feel so bad throwing out favours but I don't like knick-knacks and I think most people feel the same, honestly. I just don't see the point of some little piece of junk. There will be photos online forever now and no one needs a candle or whatever with your monogram to remember your wedding anymore.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 04:49 PM
I actually got a tin of mints with their name on it and the date if the wedding. Everyone seemed to be eating them and I still have mine in my purse.

A cute bag of m&m with your wedding colors might be cute too, and tasty!
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 05:14 PM
I went to a Finnish girl's wedding and as part of their cultural tradition, they toasted the couple with schnapps, and we got to keep the tall shot glasses. I still have mine. That's the only keepsake favour I've received; other favours have included mints, lollies and toiletries.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 07:19 PM
I've had a few nice ones.

The Godiva chocolate little bridal favors are always delicious.

I've also gotten 4 oz jars of jam made by the bride and groom.
Salt and pepper shakers... "two peas in a pod", an imitation Wedgwood bud vase, a small bottle of hideous carbonated wine pretending to be champagne,candles, candles, and more candles, mini pies, and of course, the traditional Jordan almonds.

When my nephew got married they didn't have a cake or favors and instead framed a "statement" that was on the dessert table that said they were making a donation to a charity in lieu of cake and crap (it was worded nicely....)

^This is something to seriously consider. Not only will the charity of your choice make good use of the money, you might save a few bucks. Most favors will run around $5.00, although if you are creative it might be less. You can make a nice donation to a charity and still not go over budget.

If it were me, I'd print out a nice little "thank you card" for your guests stating that in appreciation for their love and support you are making a donation to xyz. You can add a cute factor.... a cellophane bag with a dog biscuit if you are donating to the SPCA, a star shaped tiny ornament or even a star fish with a tiny bow glued on (cheap to make) for Make A Wish (share the power of a wish....)a band-aid for the Red Cross..... you get it.

Let us know what you decide.

Keep On Dancing*
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 07:28 PM
I think food is the best.

We gave our guests massive lollipops. We had 5 (yes, FIVE) kids tables, so lollipops was bound to be a hit with at least a third of our guests, and most of the adults liked them too. The were really pretty ones, with swirly pastel colours, and we tied cards with the guests names on them and used them as place settings.

At quite a few weddings, we've just gotten little white boxes with chocolates inside, which is nice and easy.

We went to a wedding once where there was a candy bar set up, and the guests got to just go and fill little paper bags with whatever candy they wanted. We were at the table right next to the candy bar, so we just kept sneaking candy, it was awesome.

At one wedding, we were given wooden aqua hearts with the couples' initials and wedding date on it. I like the hearts, but to be honest, I'm just going to go and buy a silver pen and write something cool on the other side, because I have no where in my home that I want to display someone else's initial and wedding date.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 02:28 AM
I didn't really do favours. I bought orange paper fans for all the female guests which the MIL handed out as everyone arrived, as it was an outdoor wedding in the desert, so I thought they'd appreciate having something to help them keep cool. I think most people kept them.

The traditional favour is a sugared almond, but I think I've only ever seen them at one wedding. I think people try and be too cool and quirky and end up being a bit samey to be honest. I've heard of people giving out lottery tickets but I would be FUMING if one of my guests won, so no.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 06:05 AM
I think food is a good bet. You know it'll get used, at least!

Since we got married in New Orleans we handed out pralines.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 06:11 AM
I've received over the years:
Sugared almonds with mini bottles of alcohol
An engraved horseshoe
Jars of personalised lollies
More mini bottle of alcohol
Cupcakes (the wedding cake was also the favour)
Chocolates
And one bride went completely over the top and gave everyone a gift basket of expensive alcohol, chocolates, keyrings and crystal trinkets (for the ladies) or multitools (for the gents)

I honestly don't get the concept of favours. The horseshoe was nice because it also acted like the placecard, and I've still got it hanging in my study, but the rest? I'm not a huge drinker so the bottles of grog end up in the back of the cupboard, the sugared almonds (they always remind me of mothballs - yuk!) get turfed, and unless the comestibles are consumed on the night, they end up gathering dust in the lolly cupboard, too.

I know I'll have to have something at my wedding, too, but something small, easily transportable and can double as a placecard is a better idea than bottles of booze or extravagant packages, IMO.
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 06:38 AM
Best-lottery ticket , Jordan almonds (love!)
Worst- CD of bad music, tiny plate with couples names on it. I can't throw it out but I can't do anything with it!

I made the mistake of using candy conversation hearts on my tables for decor figuring people would eat them. I had leftovers for years!

I like things that are useful or edible.
re: Best and Worst Wedding Favors You've Received (karma: 1)
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1262, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 06:43 AM
We did pens as favors for our wedding. Instead of a guestbook, we had notecards in various places throughout the wedding and reception (tables, programs, etc), and asked people to write little notes to us and put them in a basket at the gifts table when done. The pens had our names and wedding date on them, and folks used them for writing the notes and then took them home. We bought a few hundred for less than 30 cents a pen, and friends and family would come up to us years after our nuptials saying they were still using our wedding pens. I liked that it was a VERY affordable wedding favor that was still practical and, in a way, also consumable.
By aerial Comments: 1170, member since Sun Sep 02, 2001
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 07:53 AM
I love the idea of the lottery tickets! You could make up a card that said something like thanks for being here on our lucky day! I like the idea of personalized M&M's too. I think things with names or ititials are kind of tacky generally. Especially trinkets that have no use.
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 08:19 AM
We did bubbles. Each table had bubbles with a ribbon and a note with our name - I still have one. People could take them or not, but the littles at the reception loved them. We also had disposable cameras on each table (I mean, it was nearly 11 years ago, cell phone cameras may make that pointless now) so people could take photos. But there was more for us than them. There was a drop box and when the camera was full it got put in the dropbox for us to develop later. I want to say each table also had little individual wedding mints, but I don't honestly remember.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 09:10 AM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2014-08-01 09:11:20 ljlljl
We did Jordan almonds at my wedding (30 years coming up next Feb!). At the time creative things just weren't done so it never occurred to me to consider anything else. I remember counting out almonds and tying them up little squares of colored tulle and then putting them inside little lacquered red heart-shaped keepsake boxes. I still have one somewhere in a drawer.

I love all of the creative ideas on this thread. Here's a buzzfeed list, some of the ideas are great, some not so much (I would never use a tote bag with the bride and groom's name on it): www.buzzfeed.com . . .
re: Best and Worst Wedding Favors You've Received (karma: 1)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 09:24 AM
We did personalized sharpies, in a reasonable approximation to our wedding colors. They had our names, and the date, and a little wedding bell on one side. We had people come ask if we had extras that they could take with them! And they still get mentioned by people, a lot. Because you might not use a candle, and you might not like mints, but you use a sharpie (until it either dries out or you lose it, LOL...)

My cousin gave out candles at his, and I still have both of the ones we got, never been lit. A different cousin gave out chocolate truffles, and they didn't even make it home, LOL!

My sister went BOFFO with the favors. They gave out bags of rice - her husband owns a rice farm, so they contracted with the local rice company to make packages of HIS rice, and they gave those out, they gave out hand held fans (it was July in Arkansas, LOL...) in their wedding colors, tins of mints with their names and wedding date on it, and bags of bird seed to throw. I still have one of each someplace, just for the memories. Actually, I think we might have thrown the bird seed out for the birds. We might not have that one anymore.
By GoBANANAS Comments: 363, member since Fri Jul 07, 2006
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 09:42 AM
We've already decided that we're not giving away anything with our names or faces on it, lol. Just not us. The worst favor I got was a coaster with the couple's picture on it.

Our ideas so far involve turning some pictures we've taken into magnets (we're not in them, they're of landscapes and cool places we've visited) or making a popcorn bar with bags, different flavors of popcorn, flavored salts, spices and mix-ins. Would you like either of those as a guest? We would actually probably do both because they're relatively inexpensive.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:28 AM
Oh, I forgot. One wedding we went to, we got Welsh love spoon magnets for the ladies and slate coasters with a chalk painting of various Welsh castles on for the gents. I kept all of those (and stole some spare ones as well) as I love Wales. Every time a woman sat at the table they went "ooooh, love spoons!" and the gents went "....what?"
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:40 AM
I've been to two in the past year where the favors were bottles of wine. They had custom labels made for the bottles which went on the other side so they didn't cover up the wine info. They looked very nice displayed with ribbons around their necks in the wedding colors. Definitely one of the more useful wedding favors I've seen! ;)
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 04:59 PM
I think it depends on the couple, and on how much you have to spend. My favorites have been a small notepad with the wedding name and date (part of my family does titled weddings), tote bags, and beach towels. These were among higher-end weddings, though, so they were able to put a lot into their favors.

My favorite less expensive one, and maybe my favorite ever, were these little (maybe 2-3" in diameter) handmade clay dishes. The couple loved throwing pottery, so they made these dishes together with their initials carved into the bottom. It was really nice - small, reusable, but still personalized.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Aug 01, 2014 05:33 PM

A candy buffet with little bags to take home might be fun. You can probably buy them in bulk for a lot cheaper.
By kashmirjayPremium member Comments: 287, member since Tue Mar 01, 2011
On Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:13 PM
My best friend did a candy table at her wedding as well. So cool!

Her favors were personalized bottle openers with their names and wedding date, in their wedding colors (pink and green). I think they were pretty inexpensive and they were able to buy in bulk.

I think shot glasses are also a cool idea!
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 06:52 AM
My sister did magnets (in a woodland/forest-y theme, not with their face on them haha) and I see them on our family and friends' fridges everywhere! They were definitely a hit.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 07:19 AM
GoBANANAS wrote:

We've already decided that we're not giving away anything with our names or faces on it, lol. Just not us. The worst favor I got was a coaster with the couple's picture on it.

Our ideas so far involve turning some pictures we've taken into magnets (we're not in them, they're of landscapes and cool places we've visited) or making a popcorn bar with bags, different flavors of popcorn, flavored salts, spices and mix-ins. Would you like either of those as a guest? We would actually probably do both because they're relatively inexpensive.

I think the popcorn thing would be very popular! My office does that a few times a year and everyone loves it. Magnets are pretty useful on the knick-knack end of things, but I know lots of people with stainless-steel appliances can't use magnets. Some can, I think, but they don't work at all on others.
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 08:21 AM
One wedding gave small bottles of wine per couple in addition the wine on the table. It wasn't an open bar, so it was appreciated.

Another outdoorsy themed wedding gave out smore kits with custom matches with the couple's initials.

I've also had cookies in the couple's colours, a donation to charity, mini gumball machine (to go with the ccandy bar), custom little bowls.
By Balleticmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2413, member since Mon Sep 17, 2001
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 01:39 PM
I'm not sure how they are going to work yet, but my wedding is in two weeks and we are doing s'mores kits :) We just bought some Cellophane from the dollarstore and some ribbon to wrap them up. A couple graham crackers, pieces of chocolate, and marshmallows and bam delicious favour. Our wedding is also a but rustic-y as we are doing it near a campground on a lake so I thought it fit!

Another good one I saw was little jars of honey from a local bee farm.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch