Forum: Irish / Irish

Beginners dress help please x
By Bekah98
On Sat Aug 02, 2014 04:05 PM

{{this is my first post so I really hope I've done it correctly haha}}

Hallo :) basically I'm 16 and in beginners irish dance and was looking for a basic costume for my first feis. I really like a style I've seen where it's like a sort of silky dress with floaty sleeves if that makes any sense but I can't see where to buy if from :( does anyone have any ideas? The style of dress I like is like siobhan phelan's dress in the following youtube link;

m.youtube.com . . .

And keeva corrys dress from her oireachtas:-)

craoinatire.tumblr.com . . .

Please may anyone have any idea where I could buy or order a similar style of dress? It just seems so lovely! Like riverdance dresses! Thanks in advance x

3 Replies to Beginners dress help please x

re: Beginners dress help please x
By fouleafmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 02, 2014 04:33 PM
That's a lovely choice! However, before we go too far down the path of helping you with this dress, it is our/my duty to bring up something that you may or may not know yet.

In Irish, we generally have set costumes for First Feis, Beginner 1, Beginner 2, and Novice level dancers. These would be determined by your school's teachers and they generally ask every student to wear one of these costumes. In fact, in many regions, it isn't allowed for a student to wear a unique or "solo" dress in the first feis or beginner competitions, even if it's less embellished and quite classic. Unique dresses are often earned through winning competitions or a student's performance in class. Most schools have a rule that they set for their own dancers when they can have a solo dress, like "all dances in Novice," "all dances in Prizewinner," or even "You need a first in each major dance in Prizewinner".

If you are worried about purchasing one of the school or class dresses because they are expensive, it's definitely something to discuss with your teacher. The school may allow first feis dancers to borrow a dress from one of the more experienced dancers or the school's resale section. There may even be lower cost options than a standard class dress, like a simpler version of dress or a skirt and blouse.

So, if you didn't know, this would definitely be something to bring up with your teacher. If your teacher doesn't need you to wear one of the class costumes, then please let me/us know and let's keep finding you a dress. The two examples that you pointed to are quite lovely, and I'm sure we'll be able to point you in the right direction.
By Bekah98
On Sat Aug 02, 2014 07:29 PM
Thanks so much for your help and reply!! :) yeah I just fell in love with those dresses as they seemed so traditional and lovely! Ahh okay I see what you mean, like my teacher said about getting a solo dress when I'm at intermediate, and until then just to have a plain simple dress... So I looked at the dresses that beginners in my school were wearing and it Seemed to be of a similar style so I was hopeful the dress would be okay but il double check next time in at dancing!! The problem I was having was that I can't find anywhere online selling dresses of that style :( thanks for your help again! Xx
By mandie_sue0
On Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:47 AM
you could always check at different feisianna you go to for any dresses for sale. Thats how i got my 1st dress and for a low price since it was used

ReplySendWatch