Forum: Adults / Weddings

Weddings
It's official!
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 07:34 AM

We got engaged over the weekend.

BF has been telling me for a couple weeks to keep Aug 2 free because he wanted to take me on a little surprise date. I kinda figured it was his proposal because it's not my birthday or anything...so I get all dressed up and he blindfolds me in the car and walks me into a house, and it's...a birthday party. For me (my birthday is Christmas Eve), because I never get to have one. All my friends were there, there were gifts and decorations and a cake and champagne and I was totally excited and forgot all about my engagement suspicions, until he proposed, pretending the ring had fallen out of the piñata they were making me hit out back by the garage.

The whole birthday thing was really the nicest thing anyone's done for me, and while I expected to be horrified if he did anything in public, it was really okay because it was just my closest friends.

My friends had it posted on Facebook before I could, so I was worried my parents would hear before I could tell them, but luckily they're abroad right now so they saw my email before any of their friends could say something.

So, yeah. He's now making me practice spelling his surname aloud because I'm going to be spending the rest of my life with the most unwieldy Polish name now, and we'll start figuring out how to do this quietly once everyone settles down a bit.

10 Replies to It's official!

re: It's official!
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 08:17 AM
Here's the ring. It's an untreated aquamarine from Colorado we had set in silver from a small independent shop. We ordered it together weeks ago and he let me try it on and then took it away, haha.

I don't do diamonds and I don't love yellow gold or white-gold plating, so we decided to just get what I want and not worry about other people thinking it doesn't look like a "real" engagement ring. I love it, and it should last a long time as aquamarine is a very hard gemstone (same physical properties as an emerald.) It's his birthstone as well. I've been a total girl about it and have been staring at it nonstop because I love it so much. I don't wear much jewelry so I really wanted something I could live with, and it's perfect.

As a bonus, it was only a couple hundred dollars, which thrilled both of us because we are planning to buy a house as well as vacation in South America this year.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 08:54 AM
Congrats! I'm glad everything, ring included, went the way YOU wanted it to go!
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 09:45 AM
That sounds like such a fantastic proposal! And I adore your ring. It absolutely looks like an engagement ring. Congratulations!
By Live_on_Broadway Comments: 2538, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 09:56 AM
What an amazing proposal! So happy for you. :)
By LizDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1140, member since Fri Jan 06, 2006
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 05:09 PM
Your ring is just gorgeous and that sounds like a lovely proposal! I sort of understand how you feel with the birthday party thing: because I'm a twin, I've never gotten to have my own birthday party, all to myself. I think if someone threw me a surprise birthday party like that, I'd be really touched! Your fiancé sounds so thoughtful.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:08 PM
Congratulations! What a lovely idea to have a surprise half-birthday party and for him to propose the way he did. :)

Your ring is lovely. (And as someone else with an unconventional engagement ring, forget what the rest of the world thinks you 'should' have! If you love it, that's what mattes.)

It's a bit much your friends posted your news before you could, but I'm glad you were able to tell your nearest and dearest before they saw social media.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Thu Aug 07, 2014 05:50 AM
YAY! Congrats! When I saw your engagement on my FB feed, it was the third one in a week and another announced her engagement about 3 hours after you! So much excitement this week, just can't handle it!!

The ring is gorgeous - I love non traditional engagement rings. The colour is stunning too - I can't blame you for being caught staring at it! X
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Thu Aug 07, 2014 08:12 AM
Congratulations. What a fun proposal! Your ring is beautiful, and truly elegant.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Mon Aug 11, 2014 06:37 PM
Congrats! The ring is GORGEOUS!

Don't worry about what others thing..."unconventional" engagement rings are becoming more common!
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Aug 13, 2014 05:46 AM
I am so happy for you Megan. And I think your ring is beautiful and YES, I too think it looks like a "real" engagement ring.

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch