competition solos in recital?
By sillyfeet482
On 08/05/2014 17:17:34
What is your policy regarding competition solos being performed in the recital with all of the non-competitive classes? We are a young studio and small team, so it hasn't been a problem yet, but I need to make a policy and quickly. All of our competition group dances perform in recital and I encourage the girls to do a solo in recital before competing, so I already have first time soloists in each recital. I know a lot of studios don't include them at all. My friend's studio only includes solos that place- I try to place less emphasis on scores and placements, and more on development and improvement in the dancer, so I don't like that. I've considered a lottery? Or maybe just rotating basis? I know that this is going to be a hotly contested decision not to include them all. I'd love to hear how you handle this or why you don't include them all. Thanks in advance! (I recently got an email from the mom of the one kid who is doing two solos this year, assuming I wouldn't include both, and mad about it already, "Well her father isn't going to want to spend all this money if she won't get to perform both of them in recital!" No sweat. Only do one then! I don't think these people understand how we make money- it's not on competition entry fees.)
re: competition solos in recital?
By BE_dancestudios
On 08/15/2014 09:11:28
I have a small school and small performance/competition team. In the past the group has been so small that I used solos, trios and duets to elongate the show and give time to change (ps I keep my show to 1.5hrs). However, the group has grown considerably this year and while I like to feature my company dancers (They have worked hard and they deserve it), I have opted to do placement by levels like a real company this year.... Apprentice Corp Soloist Principals Rehearsal Captains The rehearsal Captains and Principals get solos. The soloists get duets or trios and the rest of the group dances together. This will be both for competition and recital. So far no complaints, however, I know a few parents will brew. My dancers get it....my parents don't. When they tell me their child feels xyz way, I know they mean them. However, as teachers we may not always make the popular decision, but we do what is best for the school and the students.
re: competition solos in recital?
By sillyfeet482
On 08/26/2014 12:30:21
Thanks ladies. I ended up with this in my solo contract: "All graduating senior may perform a solo in the recital and first time soloists. If we have space in the show (approximately 1 solo per 8-10 group dances) they will be selected from other competition solos and recreational requests on a rotating basis. Not everyone will get to perform every year, and if you performed last year, it is unlikely you will perform this year." I've been too busy dealing with "Suzie's is bored in her level and obviously needs to advance" complaints to send this out because I know I'm going to get hit with a ton of complaints. I'm about to make a form letter that says, "I'm sorry that you're unhappy with my decisions. I have made the best decision to benefit the most kids and if it is really important, maybe you should explore other options for your child." Over. It. Can I get an AMEN?

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 01/25/2022 05:42:04