Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

What did you wear for your first costume?
By KayWrites1989
On Wed Aug 06, 2014 07:32 PM

Hello Ladies,

It's your favorite newbie! Tonight I talked to my teacher about what to wear for my first feis and I need your advice. We are a small school and most of his girls that go to feisanna are already in Novice or higher and I'm his only adult that competes. So pretty much, he told me I could do what I want for a costume within reason. I looked at several threads on this page and it seems like there is a variety of costume choices. As I am competing in the Beginner/Advanced Beginner Category would it be inappropriate to find an older, more modest solo that is similar to my school's colors? What have you ladies done in the past? I don't want to get laughed out of the Irish Dance community for making a giant faux pas!

7 Replies to What did you wear for your first costume?

re: What did you wear for your first costume?
By RinceorNosretep
On Wed Aug 06, 2014 08:31 PM
My first competition costume was a black stretch velvet dress, like this one: www.ebay.com . . .
The other adult that competed at the time (she actually bought that ebay one, I borrowed hers and made my own) had put crystals on the front and sleeves in a trinity knot pattern, and I copied the template onto mine so we'd match for teams. It worked for the time. We now have actual school dresses that I designed and make.

Usually beginners don't wear solo dresses; they're either in a beginner costume of skirt and blouse or in a school dress. However, if your teacher is okay with you being in a solo, by all means go for it, especially if you find an older one. Adults look fabulous in older style solos. :) Will you be competing in the Adult category or & Over?
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 07, 2014 02:52 PM
Edited by Hop_123 (173279) on 2014-08-07 14:53:44
I know adults are different in some ways, but a lot of syllabi for feiseanna specifically state that beg and adv beg are to wear school dress or skirt and blouse. I think it is a CLRG rule. I know adult comps are different, and since your school doesn't have any adults, you can always get your TC to say that your dress is the "adult costume". Just wanted to put that out there. :)

But a 3 panel in similar colors to your school colors would probably easily pass as a school dress
By KayWrites1989
On Thu Aug 07, 2014 04:38 PM
I like the way you think Hop_123 :).
By IrishLisa
On Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:14 PM
When I was an adult beginner our school had us wear a black skirt, black tights and a white long sleeve dress shirt. I've been to quite a few feisana in the Midwest and I've noticed a wide variety. I've seen adults wear basically the kids costume in a larger size to a black skirt, black tights and a leotard that covers the collar bone with either a sash in their school colors or like a belt in their school colors--pretty basic nothing too fancy. I hope this helps and good luck! Keep us posted :)
By KayWrites1989
On Sun Aug 10, 2014 05:11 PM
Thanks everyone!

For my first feis I'm going to wear a black leotard and a red skirt. I think I'm going to get a simple dress in similar colors to the younger dancers made after.
By SlipjigSuperhero
On Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:29 PM
My old school didn't have an adult costume so I just took my teacher's advice wore a blouse and skirt. My new school has your basic black velvet dress for adult beginners and really pretty adult school dresses for more advanced dancers. If your school doesn't have a costume, talk to your teacher and see what options are available.
By criosamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 26, 2014 01:07 PM
my friends and I had a vest made to wear over our black skirt/white blouse so that we looked a little more put together when we did our 3-hand.

later we had simple black stretch velvet dresses made with a bit of fancy edging stuff sewed on to the wrists and collars (not quite ribbon, but in that section of the fabric stores). I made myself a simple satin cape to wear as well - I forget if the other girls did as well or if I was the only one...

at my second school, the adults wore the same school dress as the kids

my current school actually has a separate adult costume now - which I'm hoping will be ready for the feis at the end of next month!

ReplySendWatch