Forum: Competitions

Which convention/competition do you take your kids to?
By Tutu520
On Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:31 PM

Every year we have taken our girls to Dance America/Dance Olympus and had a wonderful time, this past year however we did not have the greatest experience. After competing two weeks later at a different competition we learned that one of the judges was also a staff member for one of the major studios at Dance America. My parents were upset so I called and just asked anonymously how that situation would be handled, as I didn't want to cause and problems, I figured they just wouldn't have them judge their own routines and average the scores of the other two judges or something but their response kind of turned me off, saying that they just let them judge their own dances. My parents were not happy to hear this and so now I'm on the hunt for a new convention/competiton. We do several smaller competitions on Long Island throughout the year but we usually attend one larger one in NYC or the surrounding area. I was looking into them and didn't know where to begin... when I was younger we always went to Tremaine, but haven't been in 12 years so didn't know if it was still a good candidate! Any help would be appreciated! We're looking for the Long Island/NYC/New Jersey area!

Thanks so much!!

9 Replies to Which convention/competition do you take your kids to?

re: Which convention/competition do you take your kids to?
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Mon Aug 11, 2014 07:39 AM
I am retired, but two of my favorites were Access Broadway and United States Tournament of Dance.
By dancer6742
On Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:23 AM
I love Dancers Inc. It's a great comp and convention, but not all of the comps have the convention with it so you would have to check and see. Jump is also a great one!
By LadyBug88
On Sat Aug 16, 2014 05:38 PM
I teach for two studios and they go to the following conventions/competitions

LA Dance Magic
New York City Dance Alliance
Rainbow
Thunderstruck
Dupree
Applause

We've also been to KAR and Hollywood Vibe.
By ug7catherine
On Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:26 PM
Edited by ug7catherine (246593) on 2014-08-21 12:29:25
We have gone to a didnt like (for favoritism reasons) Rainbow, Applause & StarBound.

We have gone to Cathy Roe for the past few years and have loved it! This year we are trying Platinum, Groove or Beyond The Stars.
By Sumayah
On Thu Aug 21, 2014 02:49 PM
I don't know what's in your area but this year we're going back to ASH (we adore them), Tremaine, and a few others. Trying 24/7 this year.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:23 PM
We're going to Applause, StarQuest, Hall of Fame and Nexstar. We've done Applause, StarQuest and Hall of Fame in the past with great success, although I think Nexstar is new for us. We're also going to their Nationals in Ohio.

Our Company team only will be going to Headliners.

For conventions, we do Tremaine and Adrenaline. The kids always love both.
By danceflorida1223
On Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:07 AM
Convention
ASH
Pulse

Competition
Star power
Showstopper
KAR
Starquest
Starbound
Believe
Thunderstruck
By DWA1
On Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:41 AM
We love ASH!
Has Anyone been to Backstage Performing Arts Competition?
By Sumayah
On Mon Nov 10, 2014 06:00 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2014-11-10 18:02:43 o is not a consonant and p is not a vowel
Thumbs up to 24 Seven. The kids (and teachers) walked away feeling like they learned something from the convention, and the competition side was good too. We only brought 4 solos (testing the waters) and all four placed in the top 10. The quality of dancers was outstanding, we look forward to bringing group pieces next time. Overall it was great. We'll definitely be back. Tremaine is next, then Jump and ASH. Never been to Backstage Performing Arts Competition, never heard of it actually.

ReplySendWatch