Forum: Advice / Ask a Judge

Ask a Judge
Love/hate relationship with dance
By Javret Comments: 1, member since Mon Aug 11, 2014
On Mon Aug 11, 2014 08:03 AM

I love dance yet hate it. I took ballet and tap for 7 years but didn't move up a single class, and only learned up to third position in ballet. I also went to another studio because of reasons That I'll tell some other time. then I took musical theatre for a year (LOVED IT) then the teacher had another person teach it and she was bad.So I decided to take irish step the first year Again it was AMAZING. Then the girl who taught went to college. So the new teacher came. She was AWFUL. She yelled at me for not dancing in a straight line, I was being pulled two ways and she didn't see it. It hurt and she blamed it on me. Then, She yelled at me for jumping higher/farther than the rest if the class. I spent how many classes doing drills to learn to jump high. Really? I can't show my skills. So I was pissed off a lot. At the dress rehearsal she wasn't there.(gee.. maybe you should come ya know) And at the recital she told me I wasn't a very nice person. That has stayed with me. So do I dance at (another studio) or do I find something else?

2 Replies to Love/hate relationship with dance

re: Love/hate relationship with dance
By artsy_athlete Comments: 20, member since Sat Oct 27, 2012
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 09:02 AM
I am not a judge, but I took dance for from when I was 7 to 21, and also did some teaching. I know changing studios is hard, but unless the teachers are being supportive and you are enjoying the classes there is no reason to stay at a studio. Dance can be amazing and so much fun but you need an environment that nurtures you. If I were you I would look for a different studio, ask and see if you can take a couple trial classes first before making payment (some studio's would want you to do this anyway to see what level you are at to place you in the right class). You can get a good idea of a teachers personality by even just observing their classes and watching how they teach and talk to other students. Good luck, I hope you don't give up on dance!
re: Love/hate relationship with dance
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 AM
It doesn't sound like a love hate relationship with dance, it sounds more like you've had some not so understanding or just pain bad instructors.

You have to remember that there may well be times you need to move on from an instructor, sometimes it's a clash of personalities, sometimes they just don't teach in the way you learn or receive information, sometimes they're just not good instructors for your level or age group. There are many reasons why people decide to move on, I think it's time you moved on.

ReplySendWatch