Forum: General / Computers - General

Computers - General
Laptop - can't log in, can this be fixed?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Wed Aug 13, 2014 02:40 AM

My laptop is nearly five now and has decided not to let me log in anymore. I didn't use it that often anymore as I use my work one instead but ideally I need to get on to it one last time before it gives up the ghost so I can get my photos and music off it.

So I put my password in and I get the following message:

The User Profile Service service failed the logon.
User profile cannot be loaded.

I know it's the right password, because when I put the wrong password in I get an error message related to the password instead.

Any ideas? Is it worth taking it into a shop (is there anything they can do or is it dead?)

Yes, I've tried turning it off and back on again.

I don't have any of the discs or user guides that it came with as these all got lost over two house moves since I've had it.

4 Replies to Laptop - can't log in, can this be fixed?

re: Laptop - can't log in, can this be fixed?
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Wed Aug 13, 2014 08:00 AM
I would take it to a shop. I had an old PC I'd stopped using but it had some photos on it that were important to me. I should have transferred them before it died because I knew it was getting old and could die. And then it did. The guys in my local shop were able to get in when I couldn't and they retrieved the photos and docs I wanted. I hope your shop can do the same for you.
re: Laptop - can't log in, can this be fixed? (karma: 2)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:32 AM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2014-08-13 10:39:31 Found new data for Weezy to try
The classic...and less expensive...answer is to find the geekiest person you know and feed them free Chinese food.

The perhaps better answer: Google "user profile service failed" (obviously on another computer) Microsoft has a cookbook on the first page of the results with several methods of attacking this problem... Some of it involves doing stuff with the registry which is not a scary as it might seem if you do it step by step. There are also several You Tube videos on how to deal with this.

If you can swim with piranhas in the Amazon, I suspect you would have enough courage to try this. Disclaimer....while I have resolved many computer problems and dilemmas I have gotten myself into including stuff where I had to edit the Registry, I haven't had this particular one.

The first YouTube video that comes up (from Britec...very good source) shows step by step how to do this. www.youtube.com . . .

Corraggio!

Jon
re: Laptop - can't log in, can this be fixed? (karma: 1)
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Aug 15, 2014 07:57 AM
^ I had the same problem on my computer recently and used that video to fix it! I was a little scared at first but just go step by step and it'll make sense.
re: Laptop - can't log in, can this be fixed? (karma: 1)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Sun Aug 17, 2014 06:53 AM
I love Jon and I love Brian from Britec Computers! I'm in! Thank you!

ReplySendWatch