Forum: Competitions

Dark Ballet
By dancerxiv
On Fri Aug 15, 2014 03:18 PM

So I feel like I'm admitting defeat by asking for help but Im stumped. I have a student who wants to do an original ballet solo for comp this year and she wants it to be dark. Last year I did a dark Pointe dance for another girl that was about the grim reaper... And I'm having trouble thinking of something that isn't on the same lines. We dont do classical ballet competitions, we compete more at comps such as starpower and such, if that helps at all, but I'm having trouble thinking of a theme that is dark but can be expressed thru classical ballet movements, all while not being about death... And creative...

5 Replies to Dark Ballet

re: Dark Ballet
By Jogibear623
On Fri Aug 15, 2014 04:44 PM
Maybe a zombie dance to Rob Zombie's "Living Dead Girl"... Or anything by Apocalyptica might lend itself to dark ballet.
By shmcdona
On Fri Aug 15, 2014 06:26 PM
Possessed doll. Ghost. Lunatic asylum. Witch. Vampire. Demon...just some vague ideas off the top of my head.

Some stuff from horror soundtracks might inspire you.
By dancedeb
On Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:55 AM
We used Pan's Labyrinth a few years ago for a competition group.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Mon Aug 18, 2014 08:57 AM
Dracula... there are many versions. We did our own version and I have some great, dark music. I don't remember the origins of most of it, but have the music that we used. You can find it all over, from movies, etc. You can name it whatever you want.
By Cdnmommy
On Tue Sep 02, 2014 07:48 PM
I've used Dirty Orchestra in the past and it went very well, not sure if that's dark enough for what you're after. We used black costumes with long tutus and a black half mask made out of lace.

ReplySendWatch