Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Irish - Beginners
Having faith after being put down
By GreenDoll Comments: 2, member since Fri Aug 15, 2014
On Fri Aug 15, 2014 05:35 PM

I am an adult beginner (22) in an adulg beginners class. So i have this thing on my mind for a little bit while but a few days ago it completely destroyed me. The fact is, i am not very talnted. And thats fine, it doesnt really bother me that much. I faced ill never really go to feises much and stuff like that. But a few days ago my techer pretty much told me i am not talented and ill never dance well. Not in those words exactly but he did (there is no doubt in what he meant to say). And now i have no idea what to do. I really do feel like quiting dance because i dont really feel ill ever dance and that will ever look even decent. Did you have people saying you that? Did you ever feel that way? What did you do and what do you think i should do?

5 Replies to Having faith after being put down

re: Having faith after being put down
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 457, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Fri Aug 15, 2014 08:09 PM
You're just starting! No one was good when they were first starting, yeah it clicks sooner with some people, but no one is good as an absolute beginner.

If your teacher really did tell you that you will never dance well, honestly that sounds like a crummy teacher. One option is to stay where you are and let your haters be your motivators, or you can transfer, you could try to find a more positive environment. If a teacher is making you feel like quitting, you really don't need to waste your time with that teacher!

For the record, I do love strict teachers, but there's a big difference between "You'll really have to work hard on keeping your arms still if you want to place well" and "Your arms are look garbage because you are untalented."
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Fri Aug 15, 2014 09:02 PM
I don't see how your teacher could say that! You are a beginner. Irish dance is tough stuff. And sure it is nice to have natural turn out or rhythm, but most of us have to work hard to get the different components down. I truly sucked at dance for the first 2 years. I'm surprised my teacher wasn't cringing during class. I was pretty pathetic to start with.

It sounds like a tough environment though. Not a very encouraging thing to say. Before you give up, think about what you like about dance. Of course we all want to look amazing, but what else do you get out of it? Do you like hanging out with your classmates? Do you love the music? Is this an exercise you enjoy doing? Do you just HAVE to express yourself thru dance?

There are lots of ways to become a better dancer. I'm sure we can all make suggestions there! Better ways of practicing, better ways of learning to hear the music, etc. Practicing with a friend

Don't let it get you down. That is just one persons opinion. Here take a look at this: www.huffingtonpost.com . . .
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Sat Aug 16, 2014 04:38 AM
To second what's been said so far, I had something similar; only, the TC never said it, it was just understood. I wanted to be the best, but there was no way in the world I'd ever be good enough to win worlds. And I faced that hard reality after I convinced myself it was possible for years. Not everyone is a world champ.

That said, no one is good when they first start out. And the fact that your teacher said something to completely discourage you is awful. And I want to put something into perspective.

If you had a child, and you were sending your child to dance classes, and the teacher told your child that he/she will never be good enough, what would you do? Tell your child that the teacher was being rude, that they can be good enough if they work hard, and possibly find a new school/teacher. Right? At least, that's what I'd do. So, you are a no different.

You need to be able to dance and learn in a comfortable environment, and with a teacher who's willing to help you grow as a dancer and encourage you to become better, not knock you down by telling you that you lack talent.

With that issue addressed, here's something else to consider; Some dancers are naturally talented. Many, in fact, are. But I myself am one of those dancers who has to work hard to do all this as I am not naturally gifted. And when I'm pushing down on myself, feeling low about all the talented girls that beat me at every single feis, I tell myself one thing; "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." So repeat that to yourself. Irish Dance is once of those sports/arts that can be accomplished with little to no talent at all, as long as perseverance and dedication are on your side. You can be great one day, you just have to work a little harder sometimes!

Don't let all this get you totally down. Use it as inspiration and prove everyone, yourself included, that they're wrong and blow them all out of the water!!!!
By GirlGeekPremium member Comments: 29, member since Tue Apr 22, 2014
On Sat Aug 16, 2014 07:24 AM
Wow. And by wow, I mean grr!

I agree with what's been said so far.

Also, it's an adult beginner class. Adults come to dancing for lots of different reasons, only some of which are related to skill or competition. It blows my mind that someone would deal with adult dancers like that.

If you don't have the aptitude that some dancers have, it's even more important that you put in practice time on your own. Turnout, cross, foot position, leg lifts and position: these are all things you can drill in a small space, especially with a well-placed mirror. I've actually been pleased with what I've seen of the diddlyi online workshops, for your drilling pleasure at home. (Also page back through the Diddlyi blogs and read anything by Ariel Bennett or Cara Sutherland. Lots of useful improvement tips there!) Nothing counters a put-down like doing better than someone expects. ;>

Keep dancing. Please!

-Stephanie
By StepdancerPremium member Comments: 1977, member since Sun Oct 22, 2006
On Sat Aug 16, 2014 07:16 PM
Wow, that was rude! I'm so sorry that happened to you. :( I teach adult beginners, and if I mistreated my students like that, I wouldn't have any students, nor would I deserve to. All students, but beginners especially, need patience, support, encouragement, and more patience. Your teacher may be a good dancer, but based on this, they don't sound like a good teacher, which is a different skill entirely. Given that ID is in short supply in many places, you may not have much in the way of options regarding switching to another school. If you can switch, I'd at least consider it.

saoirse3473 wrote:

Not everyone is a world champ.

This is not only true, it's true in spades--most dancers are not world champs. If all the world champs retired tomorrow, Irish dance would be the poorer for it, but would live on; if everyone who isn't a world champ retired, ID would collapse. We need all our dancers, from the top of the heap, to the nervous beginner trying their very first skip, to everyone in between, and our teaching system should support this entire spectrum.

ReplySendWatch