Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
Im in my own way to get better.
By DanceeisLovee Comments: 8, member since Mon Aug 18, 2014
On Mon Aug 18, 2014 01:38 PM

Hello everyone!
I started dancing Hip Hop two years ago and i compeletly fell in love with it, or dance in general. I am already 18 years old now and I regret that I havent started to dance earlier.
I also want to start with other dancees such as ballet.
I know I wont be able to have a dance career but I am hoping to dance maybe as a second job in a couple of years. And if not ill be happy to just continue dance because it is amazing.

My problem in dance is that I am kind of holding myself back. My danceteacher always says that I have to jump outside of my box. But I cant seem to do that. I am a very shy person, so I always think too much.
Not being able to get better at dance and let loose realy bugs me. I dissappoint myself and I am just never pleased with what i do at dance. ( I am also a perfectionist and probably set my goals too high.)
I know that no one can really help me with that but I just wanted to share this and maybe someone else had or has the same problem.
(I also hope my english is okay)

Thanks for your time to read this!

2 Replies to Im in my own way to get better.

re: Im in my own way to get better.
By artsy_athlete Comments: 20, member since Sat Oct 27, 2012
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 09:14 AM
Do you dance by yourself often? I found that the best way for myself to let loose was to dance to different music on my own, that way I don't have the pressure of others watching me and can do silly or new things and try them out on my own without a fear of messing up or looking foolish.
It's also good to remember that everyone has different strengths, you notice when others do things better then you do, but chances are you are not appreciating the things you are stronger at then others as well.
Most of all just enjoy dance, if you enjoy it that is the most important thing to concentrate on!
re: Im in my own way to get better.
By DanceeisLovee Comments: 8, member since Mon Aug 18, 2014
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:45 AM
Thank you for your answer!
I dance in my room once in a while. Also when I start dancing choreos in my room alone, it seems to be better than when I am dancing around others. I try more stuff and do 'bigger' moves.

ReplySendWatch