Forum: Advice / Stretching

How long did it take you to learn one of the Splits?
By DanceeisLovee
On Mon Aug 18, 2014 04:02 PM

Hello,

I want to Start learning Splits, First the Forward one
And i would like to know how long it Took you guys to learn it :)

14 Replies to How long did it take you to learn one of the Splits?

re: How long did it take you to learn one of the Splits?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Mon Aug 18, 2014 04:17 PM
Well, "learn" isn't quite the right verb--you can understand the position long before your body can do the position. To achieve a flat split, it HEAVILY depends on several factors. I have my students, some of them are so loose and young that it only takes them weeks to be doing good splits. However, I have other students that are equally young but whose muscles are extremely tight, that have been working for a year and still have not achieved their full split.

Some of the things to keep in mind, to help you journey be faster.

1) Nutrition is more important thank you might think. Keeping your body well hydrated, and giving your body the building blocks for healthy muscles will help.

2) Warm-Up and dynamic stretching is important. You COULD just hold a split every day and you'd eventually get it, but not as quickly or as safely as if you do a proper warm up EVERY TIME, and utilize dynamic stretching before you even go to your static split.

3) Stretch where it is uncomfortable, and make sure you have the RIGHT position. Stretching with angled legs or unsquare hips may give you the illusion of being closer, but it doesn't help stretch the areas that really need it. Then, also keep in mind that over time a position will become more comfortable, so the best way to keep progress is going to a more difficult position continuously.

Do you have a plan and/or a teacher helping you? Are you looking for more help?
By DanceeisLovee
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 03:15 AM
Thanks for your help.
I dont really have a teacher to help me, I was looking around on this website to find some routines. I will have to see if it works out, I havent tried them yet.
If you have any further tips or good stretches feel free to give me some more advice :)
By dancingeve
On Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:43 AM
It only took me about 4 weeks I use to literally stretch every day. You have to be determined, its going to take time.

Stretches you can do are sitting in a V and stretching to each side for about 8 counts including the middle. After you've done that push your legs out further in the V and complete the process again. Keep doing this over and over to help with flexibility.

I used to also sit in the splits as far down as I could for 10 seconds no matter how much it hurt.

Remember no pain no gameee
By theJaredMazurek
On Thu Aug 21, 2014 04:50 PM
Well, I am a male dancer who started in my middle teenage years, but I was not very flexible to begin with. It's been a few years now, and I have them! Some things I learned through trial and error:

1) Getting close to getting your splits is easy. The hardest part is the last couple of inches, but don't get discouraged!

2) Stretch everyday! More than once everyday if possible and try to stretch when your body is already warm.

3) Drink lots of water. It helps.

4) Do lots of lunges, hamstring stretches, hip-flexor stretches, and sit in your splits as far down as you can. What I did was I would get between two chairs and hold myself up with my arms and slowly go into my splits until it started to hurt.
By DanceeisLovee
On Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:46 AM
Thanks for your answers!
When I try to go into the Split with the two Chairs My back leg
Bends And My knee is on the ground, i cant really keep the back leg straight while being in That Position. Is that okay, or is there a Trick or Something?

Thanks for your help 😊
By theJaredMazurek
On Fri Aug 22, 2014 05:56 PM
I also had the same issue when I started out. It took me a while to correct that problem. It's ok if you do it like that for the purpose of stretching. Just make sure if any stretch hurts you back off! It's better to not get too anxious than to pull something and have to recover for forever.

What I did was I would stretch, then I would do my splits... I would do my splits with my knee bent as far as I could go down which would stretch out the front leg's hamstring more THEN I would do the splits as far down as I could go with keeping both legs straight which will help with the back leg's hip flexor. Keep in mind that keeping both legs straight you won't be able to go as far down to the ground, but don't worry you'll get there with continued stretching!

Also, another tip: when you find a comfortable position when doing the splits between the chairs... A position that is stretching you but keeping yourself safe try to let go of the chairs for a couple seconds to let gravity do some work, but just be sure to push yourself back up with your arms if it's too much. Don't freak out! You can also do a series of contractions and relaxations of the leg muscles. Basically, gonna back to your comfortable split position then contract your leg muscles really hard for about five seconds! Then, relax them and let yourself slide down a little more in your splits and hold for some time. Repeat. You'll find you can go a little farther, and it's great for your leg muscles.

Just always make sure your legs are warm before doing intense stretches!
By tracefacen
On Sat Aug 23, 2014 09:45 AM
I have always been naturally flexible in the legs so the splits came naturally. My centre split, however, took a few months. Just stretch every day and you should get them in no time!
By DanceeisLovee
On Mon Aug 25, 2014 03:15 PM
Thank you for all your help! I will try all the tipps And Hopefully in some Time i will have My Split! Lets see how it goes.

Im still happy to Hear Other tipps or suggestions! Just feel free to reply And Tell me about your experiences :)
By Dancey132
On Wed Aug 27, 2014 03:04 PM
2 years I did both once my knee healed up. I couldn't do them before though I just felt like I could do anything after my knee healed... But I kept trying and I never got it before
By DanceeisLovee
On Wed Sep 17, 2014 02:12 PM
Thanks for the answers!
So i've been Doing some stretches And the next Day i can really feel it, should i Rest a Day before the next stretch Routine?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Wed Sep 17, 2014 02:26 PM
You can do simple warmup / dynamic stretches / activity / cooldown stuff daily, but intensive stretching (warmup / dynamic stretches / static stretches ) where you hold static stretches for longer than 15 seconds, I'd only do that a few times a week with a rest day after each intensive day. That gives your muscles time to repair. Intensive stretching shouldn't take place before activity, so don't do it before dance class, do it after!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 17, 2014 09:26 PM
My son has ligament laxity in his hips - which is to say, overly loose ligaments - and he can do the middles. All the girls marvel, because those are the hardest ones supposedly, but he can drop in to them like nothing. Today in gym class, he needed to be able to stop a ball quick, so he did his middle splits, LOL!
By DanceeisLovee
On Mon Sep 22, 2014 01:19 PM
Thankss for the answers!
So after My rest Day i started
Doing the stretches again And now when i Try to sit in the Front Split with the left leg in Front, it Feels like the bone is going to do the Same thing like when you Crack your Knuckles? I am not quite Sure what i should do About it now!
By Peong1964
On Sun Nov 01, 2020 08:50 PM
Edited by Peong1964 (343988) on 2020-11-01 20:50:52
Marathon is the best way of getting your health on the track also you can adjust more offers which can give you benefits if you are fighting with some diseases so join up my assignment help reviews at aussiessayservices.com . . . where you can learn that how you can improve your current health issues which can not be compared.

ReplySendWatch